Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the minimal amount of DNA required for deep-sequencing platforms!

hey. everyone! i have a sample containning many kinds of different cDNA, and i want to know their sequence and abundance in the sample. the problem is that the amount of the cDNA in the sample is limited. and i don't want to amplify them as this might introduce PCR bias, thus altering their relative abundance. can anyone tell me the minimal amount of DNA required for the next-generation sequencing? thanks a lot!

hanjay

Originally posted by hanjaylee View Post
    hey. everyone! i have a sample containning many kinds of different cDNA, and i want to know their sequence and abundance in the sample. the problem is that the amount of the cDNA in the sample is limited. and i don't want to amplify them as this might introduce PCR bias, thus altering their relative abundance. can anyone tell me the minimal amount of DNA required for the next-generation sequencing? thanks a lot!

hanjay
    Most Next gen platforms will ask for pre-e(m)PCR to be done on a library for one reason or another.

The new 454 (GS-FLX) Rapid cDNA protocol, does not and asks for, I think, >200ng of RNA going into a library to make cDNA.

Protocols are available at 454.com/my454 --but you have to register first and this can take several days.

--
    Phillip

Comment

Originally posted by pmiguel View Post
      Most Next gen platforms will ask for pre-e(m)PCR to be done on a library for one reason or another.

The new 454 (GS-FLX) Rapid cDNA protocol, does not and asks for, I think, >200ng of RNA going into a library to make cDNA.

Protocols are available at 454.com/my454 --but you have to register first and this can take several days.

--
      Phillip
      thanks very much, Phillip! i will check the website. initially i was thinking of solexa, but it requires 5-10ug DNA, quite exceeding my sample.

Comment

Hi hanjaylee,

If you are using cDNA, the Illumina 10ug requirement should not be a problem for you. I routinely make libraries with whatever cDNA comes out of reverse transcribing 100ng of mRNA, so the amounts you mention should be totally usable. As regards amplification bias, the Illumina RNA-Seq protocol does have a final amplification step, so that may rule it out for you anyhow, but I would not worry about the amount of input cDNA.

Comment

Originally posted by shurjo View Post
          Hi hanjaylee,

If you are using cDNA, the Illumina 10ug requirement should not be a problem for you. I routinely make libraries with whatever cDNA comes out of reverse transcribing 100ng of mRNA, so the amounts you mention should be totally usable. As regards amplification bias, the Illumina RNA-Seq protocol does have a final amplification step, so that may rule it out for you anyhow, but I would not worry about the amount of input cDNA.
          And, just to keep beating the "where does all the DNA go" drum:

rule of thumb: 1 ng of 1 kb DNA ~= 1 billion molecules.

That is double stranded DNA, so 100 ng of mRNA is about 200 billion molecules (if the RNAs are 1000 bases on average.)

--
          Phillip

Comment

thanks shurjo,
            i am wondering what you use to RT, oligo-dT or gene-specific primers, to obtaion your cdna product!
            hanjay

Comment

Actually, I use random hexamer primers.

Best,

Shurjo.
              Last edited by shurjo; 12-26-2009, 09:46 PM.

Comment

Hi Shurjo,

I would appreciate if you can guide me to some protocols using hexamer primers, or share your protocol. I am quite new to this field.

Best,
                seqAll

Comment

You can download a copy of the Illumina protocol here:

Regards,

Shurjo

Comment

We have recently introduced a kit that requires as little as 500 pg of total RNA input, and produces ds cDNA compatible with the GAIIx workflow. Information about the product, including the User Guide (protocol) can be found here: http://www.nugeninc.com/nugen/index....na-seq-system/

Best,
                    Steve

Comment

Theoretically, for the Illumina, you only need 2 ul of a 10nM prepped library to go into the cluster station/cBot. You might be able to get there without using PCR, if you used Sangers PCR-less library prep.

Comment

GW OK,
                        THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY! would you please give me some more detailed information, as this is very important for me. thanks a million!!

Comment

As it stands the Illumina adapters come in two parts: the part that is ligated, containing the sequencing primer binding site, and the part that is added during the amplification PCR, containing the flowcell binding site. Basically what you need to do is have oligos synthesized that containing both of these sites. You can find the sequences in another thread on the top of the Illumina sub-forum. Since these oligos have both the flowcell binding site and the sequencing primer binding site you don't need to do an amplification step. This was mentioned in Sangers paper "A large genome centre’s improvements to the Illumina sequencing system"

Comment

very much thanks, i will check it out.

Comment

Originally posted by kainsteven View Post
                              We have recently introduced a kit that requires as little as 500 pg of total RNA input, and produces ds cDNA compatible with the GAIIx workflow. Information about the product, including the User Guide (protocol) can be found here: http://www.nugeninc.com/nugen/index....na-seq-system/

Best,
                              Steve
                              Hi,
                              I am interesting in using the Ovation RNA-Seq system. I
                              have a few questions:

1. Is the system compatible with bead purified mRNA as a starting point?

2. The product literature discourages the use of yeast tRNA or glycogen as
                              carriers when extracting RNA, are there any alternative carriers that you
                              can recommend using?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                              • seqadmin
                                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                              0 responses