No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Qubit good for multiple samples?

Hello,

We've been having some quantitation issues recently, I'm wondering whether the Qubit fluorometers are good for processing lots of samples (96 at a time?)

Hi,
    they should be... Once you've passed the 2-minute minimum incubation time, then the tubes are supposed to be stable for 3 hours (Qubit dsDNA HS Assay guide, page 2), although personally it never happened that I had them them sit for more than half an hour prior to reading them, so I can't speak from personal experience.
    What kind of issues are you experiencing? Do you notice readings drop, or raise during time? Or do the readings just fluctuate? How do the calibrators perform at the end of the readings?
    Or is your issue that at the end of the experiment, the proportion of libraries is uneven? In this case, besides quantity, are they even in quality?

Comment

What are you using for quantification now? I find the Qubit to be time-consuming for 96 samples - instead I use the Qubit reagents, white strip tubes, and a plate reader that can handle tubes.

Comment

Originally posted by microgirl123 View Post
        What are you using for quantification now? I find the Qubit to be time-consuming for 96 samples - instead I use the Qubit reagents, white strip tubes, and a plate reader that can handle tubes.
        microgirl,

What plate reader are you using?

Comment

Well. . . it's actually an old Stratagene qPCR instrument that will allow you to do a single endpoint read so it's only used as a "plate" reader now.

I'm not sure how well Qubit reactions would work in a plate since there's not a good way to really vortex the samples, but I haven't experimented. I half the volume of the reaction in the strip tubes both to save reagent costs and to allow more room for mixing.

Comment

Hi,microgirl,

your idea of using a qPCR instrument as a Qubit reader was great! could you give more detail of the protocol? Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by microgirl123 View Post
              Well. . . it's actually an old Stratagene qPCR instrument that will allow you to do a single endpoint read so it's only used as a "plate" reader now.

I'm not sure how well Qubit reactions would work in a plate since there's not a good way to really vortex the samples, but I haven't experimented. I half the volume of the reaction in the strip tubes both to save reagent costs and to allow more room for mixing.
              I use the Biotium AccuClear system, and for that you simply mix the DNA with the dye/buffer mixture by pipetting and allow it to sit for ~ 5 mins. I would bet good money that the same approach would work with the Qubit reagents.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
              0 responses