Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How come that the Trinity assembler seems to work on a computer with low memory

Hi Dear All

I have a dataset (about 60m reads paired or 120m together~ 14.5Gb each file). at the first I run trinity (latest version) on my dataset with below code on my pc with 16G Ram, 8 Core CPU :

Trinity --seqType fq --JM 10G --left reads_1.fq --right reads_2.fq --CPU 8

the run failed (because RAM deficiency).

after search I found that i have to set CPU with butterfly dependency RAM (bflyHeapSpaceMax) then i change my code as follow and the all of process were OK and trinity.fasta file was created. All of results and statistics is OK (for example mapped back reads to trinity.fasta)

Trinity --seqType fq --bflyHeapSpaceMax 4G --JM 10G --left reads_1.fq --right reads_2.fq --CPU 4

and now i am really confused. because I thought that i should to run my dataset on a server with 100G RAm and ...

I am sure. during running I had't have any error. I insert trinity.timing below:

Statistics:
    ===========
    Trinity Version: trinityrnaseq_r20140717
    Compiler: GCC
    Trinity Parameters: --bflyHeapSpaceMax 4G --seqType fq --JM 10G --left /home/mrb/NGS/A-Project/Dr.Hosseinpour/Trimmed-data/forward.fq --right /home/mrb/NGS/A-Project/Dr.Hosseinpour/Trimmed-data/reverse.fq --CPU 4
    Paired mode
    Input data
    Left.fasta 8308 MByte
    Right.fasta 8302 MByte
    Number of unique KMERs: 204827561
    Number of reads: 0 Output data
    Trinity.fasta 65 MByte

Runtime
    =======
    Start: Mon Sep 29 12:45:10 IRST 2014
    End: Mon Sep 29 23:09:51 IRST 2014
    Trinity 37481 seconds
    Inchworm 1230 seconds
    Chrysalis 22880 seconds
    Butterfly 12326 seconds
    Rest 1045 seconds

I know that CPU*bflyHeapSpaceMax must be equal your RAM or lesser.

But I dont know with decreasing bflyHeapSpaceMax, quality of my assembly is changed or not.

Now i am really confused. how it is possible with my 16G Ram PC!!!! OR really trinity is improved.

Has decreasing bflyHeapSpaceMax (10G to 4G) any effect on assembly quality or not?

so please help me about this situation. is it my results ok?????

Please guide me.

Best

Originally posted by mrb View Post
    Has decreasing bflyHeapSpaceMax (10G to 4G) any effect on assembly quality or not?
    No it has no effect. Butterfly will run the same no matter how much or little memory you give it. The only difference is that, as you found out, Butterfly will crash and not complete if it does not have enough memory.

Comment

Thanks for your reply.
      then my results is OK?
      is Trinity improved so we can run it on a PC like mine?

Best

Comment

Results ok.

As for running Trinity on a PC, it depends on what you mean by "PC" -- yours is 8-core, 16 GB RAM -- which several years ago would have qualified as 'server-class'. It also depends on the size of your data. At 60M paired reads your data is on the small side.

That said, yes Trinity has improved a lot. The old rule of thumb of 1 GB memory per 1 M reads hasn't been true in a while.

Comment

Thanks again.
          I thought 1 GB memory per 1 M reads yet and it confused me.

Best

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
          • seqadmin
            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
          0 responses