Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metagenomics (not 16s!)

Our core facility has many people (with very little money) interested in doing metagenomics on the MiSeq, but they often have different regions of interest. So we're looking for a different way to approach library prep other than the Caporaso approach of using PCR primers that include primers for the region of interest, indices, and Illumina adaptor sequences. This way seems to work well, but is very cost prohibitive since you need to order a separate reverse primer for every sample you want to multiplex. If you only want to do this once, you are paying ~$200 or more per sample for primers. For a set of 20 samples this can add up!

Has anyone seen or used a method that just ligates the Illumina adaptors/indices onto PCR amplicons? This would allow us to place the problem of actually amplifying the DNA onto our customers (and this is a big deal!) and should drastically save on the cost of library prep for these types of samples.

Thanks!

We've made libraries out of amplicons for a few customers. Seemed to work ok. Just treat the amplicon like a pre-sheared sample.

Comment

Hi microgirl123,
      One way to reduce the primer cost is to use the dual-barcode capabilities of the miseq. You can modify the Caporaso et al 2012 oligos to have a barcode at both ends. I have had successful runs using the following adapter structure:

Code:
      Fwd primer:
      AATGATACGGCGACCACCGAGATCTACAC [Barcode] TATGGTAATT GT GTGCCAGCMGCCGCGGTAA

Rev primer:
      CAAGCAGAAGACGGCATACGAGAT [Barcode] AGTCAGTCAG CC GGACTACHVGGGTWTCTAAT
      This structure is compatible with the standard miseq dual-index program, e.g. read 1, index 1, index 2, read 2. The standard miseq program uses 8 base barcodes but you could get away with fewer. You would need O(N^0.5) barcodes for N samples.

Comment

I guess what you are looking for is the 4primer approach: You have outer primers including your indexes and inner primers with your target specific sequence. Outer and inner primers have an overlap. That way you can reuse the outer primers for independent projects and the inner target specific primers are less expensive (~60bases).
        Look in this thread for design of dual indexing:
        Bridged amplification & clustering followed by sequencing by synthesis. (Genome Analyzer / HiSeq / MiSeq)

These are the parts that we use successfully as overlap regions:
        ACACTCTTTCCCTACACGA
        GTGACTGGAGTTCAGACGTG

Comment

We designed our primers to have a barcode built into our forward primer- since it only added 12bp to a 15bp primer the cost per-primer wasn't that bad. End results from the run were good...forward read was of high quality, with some issues on the reverse. Still we had enough sequence to do what we needed to do with our amplicon. We had some ideas passed to us from our sequencing provider on how to fix this the next time that we're going to try out. Having a barcode on the reverse as well could help as well (Increase in cost).

Comment

Originally posted by GW_OK View Post
            We've made libraries out of amplicons for a few customers. Seemed to work ok. Just treat the amplicon like a pre-sheared sample.
            When you say to treat it like a pre-sheared sample, do you mean that you shear your amplicons?

We don't want to do that, but I'm wondering if I can just take amplicons that are ~500 bp and ligate on Illumina adapters and indices. Since they're PCR amplicons, shouldn't they already be A-tailed? Otherwise, we could run them through a TruSeq kit for end-repair, A-tailing, and adapter ligation, but adjust the final size selection to keep the right-sized pieces.

Comment

Originally posted by Vinz View Post
              I guess what you are looking for is the 4primer approach: You have outer primers including your indexes and inner primers with your target specific sequence. Outer and inner primers have an overlap. That way you can reuse the outer primers for independent projects and the inner target specific primers are less expensive (~60bases).
              Thanks! That might work - we can have customers deal with the inner primers for their region of interest and we just take their PCR amplicons and PCR on the outer primers.

Comment

Originally posted by microgirl123 View Post
                When you say to treat it like a pre-sheared sample, do you mean that you shear your amplicons?

We don't want to do that, but I'm wondering if I can just take amplicons that are ~500 bp and ligate on Illumina adapters and indices. Since they're PCR amplicons, shouldn't they already be A-tailed? Otherwise, we could run them through a TruSeq kit for end-repair, A-tailing, and adapter ligation, but adjust the final size selection to keep the right-sized pieces.
                By pre-sheared I think he means your amplicon is already to an insert size that is acceptable to library prep- all fragments are roughly the same size (It being amplicon), so all you need to do is ligate the sequencing adaptors on and go. No need to shear, just prep and sequence.

Comment

Hi Vinz, do you have any papers or protocols that use this method? It seems like it would be the best approach for us - we'd just need to figure out how to do the actual final PCR (it seems like you wouldn't need many cycles) and how much DNA from the first PCR to ask for in the first place.

Comment

We actually include the outer primer in the target specific PCR. However, the PCR should not be tricky. I would do a 1:10 dilution and 5 cycles. I am not aware of a publication even though it probably has been published.
                    Fluidigm documentation includes hints on that approach. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by bstamps View Post
                      By pre-sheared I think he means your amplicon is already to an insert size that is acceptable to library prep- all fragments are roughly the same size (It being amplicon), so all you need to do is ligate the sequencing adaptors on and go. No need to shear, just prep and sequence.
                      That's precisely it. It'll be the tightest size selected peak you'll ever make a library out of.

Comment

dual indexing

Thanks for posting your dual indexing primer sequences. I was planning on using the Nextera barcode sequences but wanted to double check. The Illumina rep said that the posted sequences are the sequences as read by the MiSeq. Does that mean that the 5'-3' barcode sequences on the primer should all be reverse complemented from what Nextera provides?

Also, do you have any feelings on standard desalted primers vs HPLC or PAGE purified primers? I've found that people have strong feelings either way but would like to get away with the cheapest method that works.

Thanks

Originally posted by koadman View Post
                        Hi microgirl123,
                        One way to reduce the primer cost is to use the dual-barcode capabilities of the miseq. You can modify the Caporaso et al 2012 oligos to have a barcode at both ends. I have had successful runs using the following adapter structure:

Code:
                        Fwd primer:
                        AATGATACGGCGACCACCGAGATCTACAC [Barcode] TATGGTAATT GT GTGCCAGCMGCCGCGGTAA

Rev primer:
                        CAAGCAGAAGACGGCATACGAGAT [Barcode] AGTCAGTCAG CC GGACTACHVGGGTWTCTAAT
                        This structure is compatible with the standard miseq dual-index program, e.g. read 1, index 1, index 2, read 2. The standard miseq program uses 8 base barcodes but you could get away with fewer. You would need O(N^0.5) barcodes for N samples.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                        • seqadmin
                          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                        0 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post seqadmin  
                        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                        0 responses