Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I made a few more changes to shorten the text and remove some of the redundancy. Take a look and see if you are ok with the changes. Without the last sentence (the stats), it would be 289 words now.

Some more comments:

1) The reviewers might ask for the number of active users instead of registered users
    2) If you want to make it more useful for students, then you could consider a slightly longer article with more content in an open-access journal such as PLoS Computational Biology (in case the science letter doesn't work out)
    3) The last paragraph needs some editing to have a better flow between the first and second sentence
    4) I would like to see some future directions at the end as well (maybe collindaven's suggestion, but replace "we" with "seqanswers")

Comment

Robs, perhaps we should consider submitting to PloS comput bio. is there perspective/review type of paper we can submit?

Guess what, let's see current issue of PloS comp bio, the editorial is "ten rules to seek help from online communities"

Shall we respond? I think we should.

Originally posted by robs View Post
      I made a few more changes to shorten the text and remove some of the redundancy. Take a look and see if you are ok with the changes. Without the last sentence (the stats), it would be 289 words now.

Some more comments:

1) The reviewers might ask for the number of active users instead of registered users
      2) If you want to make it more useful for students, then you could consider a slightly longer article with more content in an open-access journal such as PLoS Computational Biology (in case the science letter doesn't work out)
      3) The last paragraph needs some editing to have a better flow between the first and second sentence
      4) I would like to see some future directions at the end as well (maybe collindaven's suggestion, but replace "we" with "seqanswers")
      Marco

Comment

This paper is written by Wikigenes member, it is ALSO edited collaboratively at wiki. Go for it!

Originally posted by marcowanger View Post
        Robs, perhaps we should consider submitting to PloS comput bio. is there perspective/review type of paper we can submit?

Guess what, let's see current issue of PloS comp bio, the editorial is "ten rules to seek help from online communities"

Shall we respond? I think we should.
        Marco

Comment

If you are worried about the number of authors in a nature publication, you could try to submit it as an editorial instead (http://www.nature.com/nrmicro/journa...micro2119.html).

In order to decide where to send it to, we need to figure out if someone has contacts to the editor of the respective journal. If you want to submit to Science or Nature, this might be fastest way to get it out or get feedback for interest in the article. If you consider PLoS, I should be able to help out with contacts.

Based on the selected journal, we should take a look at similar letters/editorial/etc. and modify the text based on that. Going forth and back between a short and long text will just waste time.

So, who knows some editors?

Comment

One more thing we should start thinking about are the publication charges. Will the SEQanswers site admin cover those from the advertisements, or will it be split between the authors, etc.

Comment

One more thing we should start thinking about are the publication charges. Will the SEQanswers site admin cover those from the advertisements, or will it be split between the authors, etc.
              For the SEQwiki paper, the SEQanswers admin has promised to cover it. For this letter/paper, we may ask again. But don't worry about it for now and write it first. I think whiter it is funded by admin or not won't change our plan.
              Marco

Comment

Ya, anyone know some editors?

Originally we planned for science/nature letter type. As you said, their response I'd fast, so why not write for it first? (as it is already almost a finished draft)

In parallel, may Robs you help contact PloS's editor?

Thanks.

If you are worried about the number of authors in a nature publication, you could try to submit it as an editorial instead (http://www.nature.com/nrmicro/journa...micro2119.html).

In order to decide where to send it to, we need to figure out if someone has contacts to the editor of the respective journal. If you want to submit to Science or Nature, this might be fastest way to get it out or get feedback for interest in the article. If you consider PLoS, I should be able to help out with contacts.

Based on the selected journal, we should take a look at similar letters/editorial/etc. and modify the text based on that. Going forth and back between a short and long text will just waste time.

So, who knows some editors?
                Marco

Comment

I wrote the editor of PLoS Computational Biology and asked if he would support our letter. Let's see what his response is.

One more thing I was missing is a title. Any suggestions?

Comment

Robs, may you send us the letter draft telling us how it ia written first?
                    Marco

Comment

• When I wrote "letter", I was referring to the one everyone is working on. If you were asking about something else, can you maybe rephrase your question?

Comment

• Originally posted by robs View Post
                        When I wrote "letter", I was referring to the one everyone is working on. If you were asking about something else, can you maybe rephrase your question?
                        OK robs, I understand what you mean.

Why not send the text to Science / Nature first?

In case they reject, we can transform it as the preliminary inquiry for PLoS Comput Editiorial
                        Marco

Comment

• The reason, the newbies into HTS are not always computer nerd .Remember the target audience

Originally posted by marcowanger View Post
                          OK robs, I understand what you mean.

Why not send the text to Science / Nature first?

In case they reject, we can transform it as the preliminary inquiry for PLoS Comput Editiorial
                          Marco

Comment

• This decision is totally up to you. It just sounded like you want me to contact the PLoS Editor and ask him about their interest in a article about SEQanswers. (Btw, they said they will take a look at the letter.) Also, PLoS is an open-access publisher and I am not sure if Science offers open-access.

I removed the last sentence with the stats and added a modified version of collindaven's suggestion for future directions. Take a look at it and see if you agree (especially ECO).
                            Otherwise, it should be in reasonable shape to be considered for review and if you get ECO's ok, then you should go ahead and submit it to a journal.

Comment

• Originally posted by robs View Post
                              I removed the last sentence with the stats and added a modified version of collindaven's suggestion for future directions. Take a look at it and see if you agree (especially ECO).
                              Otherwise, it should be in reasonable shape to be considered for review and if you get ECO's ok, then you should go ahead and submit it to a journal.
                              I'm a bit unhappy with "SEQanswers aims" and "SEQanswers continues" as it is not clear for me who you are talking about (admins, users, community as a whole...).

And just to make sure: you wanted to post it in the content part to have it checked before posting it in the trimmed letter, right?

Comment

• I assumed that we are working on the letter draft and must have missed the part where it says that we should only modify the content part. Sorry for that.

I think, the SEQanswers community "continues to provide a platform for discourse" and not just the admin or just the users. I also took a look at the alternative suggestions under "Future Directions" and they sound more like a summary than future directions. I personally feel that we need something that wraps everything up at the end and leaves the reader motivated to go and give SEQanswers a try. I don't think that statistics will do that, but future directions might be able to.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                  Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                                  by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
                                  04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
                                • seqadmin
                                  Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                                  by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                                  04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by seqadmin, Today, 08:47 AM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post seqadmin  
                                Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                                0 responses