Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expired flowcell

We have a couple of expired flowcells in our fridge (manufactured 13 months ago). Has anyone here run a flowcell that is past it's best before date and got decent data? How far expired was it? I'm seriously anti "throw things away" and I'd like to use it.

I'm wondering if it'll be the same as Affymetrix arrays (which are still fine years after expiry).

We ran a GAIIX flowcell that was ~2months expired and it worked terribly.

Comment

How expensive is it to get as far as the first base report with a flowcell? If the reagent cost to that stage isn't too bad you could try it and just bail out if the clusters look poor. As long as your cluster generation is OK I'd think that the rest of the sequencing would be OK from that point.

Comment

We had a HiSeq v1 flow cell that was WITHIN its expiration window (I think it was about 8 months old) and when we ran it the outside edges of each lane looked horrible, intensities were low across the board, and the Q30's were pretty bad compared to what we're used to.

Comment

That sounds like their old manufacturing problem. Illumina had bad lots of flowcells in 2010 where the edges had a problem with the oligo deposition.

Comment

Hello, I have nothing to contribute, but I am also very interested in that question. Collaborating facility has a HiSeQ 2000 flowcell (old type) that is 6 months expired and would let us play with it for free. But what should we expect? Terrible problems or normal quality? We have to decide within days should we risk good samples and use it as a purely technical exercise? I would love to hear from somebody with experience with "expired" HiSeQ flowcell.

Comment

Surely if it's free you should just give it a go. Keep the denatured hyb solution and if it looks terrible, you can still repeat the sequencing.
              I can't see any reason why it would generate incorrect information. You may just get more technical issues, such as low cluster numbers or low quality scores. If anything is really bad it should get removed by the filters before it hits any analysis pipeline.

Comment

Yes, we've run a single-end flow cell for the GAIIx with good results. Its expiration date was 8/20/2010 and we ran it in April 2011. More recently (Jan 2012) we ran another flow cell with the same expiration date. I can't say qualitatively that it was good (the PhiX lane failed), but I did see clusters in the other 7 lanes.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                  by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                  04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                • seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                0 responses