Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiplex Sample Prep: Three Primer Method question

There is an older library prep method where samples were indexed using a 3 primer PCR method (forward and reverse primer + index primer). Illumina changed this, and I've seen people on SeqAnswers complain that it was inefficient. Unfortunately, those are the only primer types I have right now.

1) Do any labs have experience with this method, and have any tips dealing with these issues?

2) I assume that the 3 primers exist in equal amounts, but the protocol does not actually list concentrations (just volumes). Does anyone know if the primer concentrations should be equal for this amplification.

Thank you.

Wow, that is a very old protocol. From what I remember, the three oligos are of equal concentration in the PCR reaction. The process was really tacked on and thus very inefficient since fragments that don't get the index sequence will not cluster. I believe that these libraries also require a primer that is different from TruSeq, but it may still be included in the standard sequencing primer mix. Nowadays all of the necessary sequences are added during the ligation step; PCR is optional and only used to amplify the yield. I would only use this method if you have no other alternative.

Comment

three primers are not the same concentration.primer 1.0 and multiplex primer are 25uM,primer 2.0 is 0.5 uM

Comment

Thank you for the responses.

Having the 2.0 primer at a lower concentration makes sense, as it creates the binding site for the indexing primer to amplify. However, since I'm getting conflicting results, I wanted to ask again if anyone could confirm the primer concentrations.

The "Illumina Customer Sequence Letter" lists TruSeq adapters with the index already present. Are those the ones that should be used instead of this older method? They do not seem to mention the phosphorylated 5' end as all the others require. Anyone know why this is?

Comment

The sequences you're looking for with the older kit are in the section labeled "Oligonucleotide sequences for the Multiplexing Sample Prep Oligo Only Kit". The newer TruSeq adapters already have the index sequences in the forked adapter.

The adapters in the sequence letter are really only meant for QC and data filtering purposes. They don't disclose the modifications required to actually design some of the primers.

Comment

We are performing a sequence capture step, so do you think this would improve amplification efficiency:
            - amplify (PCR 1) with the forward and reverse primers normally
            - capture sequence (with appropriate blocking primers, of course)
            - amplify (PCR 2) this captured library DNA with the forward primer and the appropriate indexing primer (which hybridizes to a binding site left by the reverse primer overhang)

This way, we never have 3 primers in the PCR solution at once. The only downside is that I have to capture 1 sample per tube instead of pooling, which will help overall capture efficiency but increases work/costs involved.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
            • seqadmin
              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
            0 responses