Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• amplicon runs using bcl2fastq v217

Has anyone noticed issues with quality scores on amplicon runs since the new version of bcl2fastq came out? I've had a number of runs be questionable since late Oct, but I also changed machines at the same time. Trying to figure out if I need to adjust wetlab conditions to new machine or if it's related to the software update.
    Microbial ecologist, running a sequencing core. I have lots of strong opinions on how to survey communities, pretty sure some are even correct.

bcl2fastq v.2.x uses binned Q-scores. I assume you are referring to that here as "issues"? Have you seen this paper?

@Brian has a way to re-calibrate those using BBMap. There should be a post on here that describes how to do that.

Comment

The beginning of R2 qscores are really low. This last run, R1 looks great with ~10% phiX aligned. R2 is horrible, <1% phiX aligned. I'm not sure how this would be software related but the thumbnails look fine-the machine didn't lose focus, clusters are there.

oh hadn't seen that paper, thanks. Haven't used bbmap but know it's on one of our clusters
      Microbial ecologist, running a sequencing core. I have lots of strong opinions on how to survey communities, pretty sure some are even correct.

Comment

The qscore profiles look similar to what I was seeing at the beginning of the year. But the machine that I'm currently using is the one that actually lead us to blame the TCM of my old machine
        Bridged amplification & clustering followed by sequencing by synthesis. (Genome Analyzer / HiSeq / MiSeq)

Comment

Originally posted by thermophile View Post
          Has anyone noticed issues with quality scores on amplicon runs since the new version of bcl2fastq came out? I've had a number of runs be questionable since late Oct, but I also changed machines at the same time. Trying to figure out if I need to adjust wetlab conditions to new machine or if it's related to the software update.
          Are you sure the issue is with bcl2fastq? QScores are assigned (binned or not) by RTA. bcl2fastq merely extracts the scores already stored in the BCL file by RTA.

Comment

not sure of anything. so maybe rerunning older version of bcl2fastq isn't going to change anything?

Comment

talked to tech support, bcl2fastq is very unlikely to be the issue.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
              0 responses