No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• negative bwa mapping quality

Hi,

Does anyone know what negative bwa mapping quality means?

I am using the aligned data from 1000 genome project (I look at this sample NA12716.mapped.ILLUMINA.bwa.CEU.low_coverage.20101123.bam). For a properly mapped pair reads, I found that the mapping quality for one read is 226 and the other is -226. Does anyone know why?

When I do pileup in samtools, it excludes that read with negative mapping quality.

Here is that pair reads data:

ERR000573.12285810 pPR2 X 154402571 60 51M = 154402756 226 GATGCAATAAGAGATAAAGCTAGAGAGGTTAATAGAGGCCAGAACTCATAG =@%?>:@@?@>=>=@?A@>>@3>:=<=>:A>@@>=1=>;>929?>$>4@2> X0:i:1 X1:i:0 MD:Z:51 RG:Z:ERR000573 AM:i:37 NM:i:0 SM:i:37 MQ:i:60 XT:A:U BQ:Z:@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
    ERR000573.12285810 pPr1 X 154402756 60 9S42M = 154402571 -226 GCGAAGAAGTCAATTAGAAAGTCTTTTCAAGTTATCCAAGCAGGAGGTCTC 27=AA=8A;<?A?@>@>@@@=;>=<>>?A@>@>@:?>AA>?@>??>>=?9? X0:i:1 X1:i:0 XC:i:42 MD:Z:42 RG:Z:ERR000573 AM:i:37 NM:i:0 SM:i:37 MQ:i:60 XT:A:U BQ:Z:@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Thank you very much!!

Anney

Hi.
    Interesting and confusing to me too.
    Sam manual says that field five is the mapping quality; From manual;
    field 5 = MAPQ Int [0,2^8-1] MAPping Quality

However and interestingly, the MQ:i: tag is apparently the mapping quality of the mate/next fragment, which for your alignment are both 60
    MQ i = Mapping quality of the mate/next fragment

So I would also be interested to know where -226 comes from too and what exactly is MQ reporting if 226 and -226 are genuine.

Another point is, if I understand and can do the math right, Mapping quality -10 x log10(probability of an error). So you would need a probability of about 1x10^25???????

Last thing; I assume the sam output reports the genome sequence not the reads, as this maps uniquely, at 100% to human genome hg19 to a unique position. So it should have a fantastic mapping score?

An interested bystander.

Comment

Thank you for the replay poisson200.

I checked BWA on its website (http://bio-bwa.sourceforge.net/). It says that it is possible one read in a pair has high mapping quality, but the other read has zero ("one read can be mapped unambiguously, but its mate falls in a tandom repeat and thus its accurate position cannot be determined"). So, I guess the negative mapping quality score means the undetermined mapping read. If so, then the flag shouldn't be "pPR2", which mean properly mapped pair-reads !?

And, samtools excludes the reads with negative mapping score (in default filter) when doing pileup.

Anney

Comment

I believe you are looking at the template length field (field 9). The mapping quality is the 5th field and is reported to be 60 for both reads.

Comment

oh...yeah....thanks for pointing this out

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
          • seqadmin
            The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
            by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
            02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
          0 responses