No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help my BBMap cannot remove Illumina adapter

Dear great helpers,

I'm an RNAseq starter and trying to find a good tool for fastq file preprocessing. I currently use BBmap to trim Illumina addapter using the command:

bbduk.sh -Xmx1g in1=f1.fq in2=f2.fq out1=clean1.fq out2=clean2.fq ktrim=r ref=truseq_rna.fa.gz k=28 mink=12 hdist=1

The f1.fq and f2.fq are from Illumina 1.9. When I check the output clean1.fq and clean2.fq files using FastQC. There is still evidence of adapter contamination.

GATCGGAAGAGCACACGTC 25845 0.18387555456141572 Illumina Multiplexing Adapter 1 (100% over 19bp)

I think this could be solved by adjusting parameters, but I'm too naive to do it. Would you please suggest me how to solve the problem?

Thank you very much in advance,
    Kaj

It is not removing the adapters since you are missing a key option on your command line for bbduk .. the location of the file containing the sequence of the adapters.

Your command should be
    Code:
    $ bbduk.sh -Xmx1g in1=f1.fq in2=f2.fq out1=clean1.fq out2=clean2.fq ktrim=r ref=truseq_rna.fa.gz k=28 mink=12 hdist=1 ref=/path_to/bbmap-34.xx/bbmap/resources/truseq.fa.gz
    Replace the truseq file with nextera if you are using those adapters.
    Last edited by GenoMax; 04-28-2015, 04:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
      It is not removing the adapters since you are missing a key option on your command line for bbduk .. the location of the file containing the sequence of the adapters.

Your command should be
      Code:
      $ bbduk.sh -Xmx1g in1=f1.fq in2=f2.fq out1=clean1.fq out2=clean2.fq ktrim=r ref=truseq_rna.fa.gz k=28 mink=12 hdist=1 ref=/path_to/bbmap-34.xx/bbmap/resources/truseq.fa.gz
      Replace the truseq file with nextera if you are using those adapters.
      Thank you very much for your quick help
      I'm so sorry
      for my ambiguous post. In fact, I have added the path to my code but skipping it in the post. Please describe me a little bit more why you suggest the use of truseq.fa.gz instead of truseq_rna.fa.gz
      Thank you very much in advance

Comment

Example you posted above looks like "TruSeq_Adapter". TruSeq_RNA adapters are different (TGGAATTCTCGGGTGCCAAGGAA). You can take a look at the adapter sequences in the "bbmap-34.xx/bbmap/resources" directory.

My apologies. I see that you have "ref=" in your original command line.
        Last edited by GenoMax; 04-28-2015, 04:31 AM.

Comment

If you're not sure which adapters are used, you can do "ref=truseq.fa.gz,truseq_rna.fa.gz,nextera.fa.gz" and get them all (this will increase the amount of overtrimming, though it should still be negligible). But as GenoMax said, that looks like a normal TruSeq adapter, not TruSeq RNA.

Also, as these are paired reads, I suggest you add the "tbo" and "tpe" flags to trim by overlap also, which will get rid of more adapter sequence.
          Last edited by Brian Bushnell; 04-28-2015, 08:59 AM.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
          • seqadmin
            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
          0 responses