No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Map 454 RNA-seq single-end reads on a genome: UPDATE

Hi everybody !

I want to annotate a non-model organism genome.

I am using (among other) 454 RNA-seq single-end reads.

I read several topics about the mapping of 454 RNA seq but they are quite old...
    It seemed that using TopHat was not OK because TopHat can deal only with short reads (like Illumina)

However, now there is TopHat2 using Bowtie2.
    Apparently, they can deal with longer reads : In the manual (http://tophat.cbcb.umd.edu/manual.shtml), it is written : TopHat can align reads that are up to 1024 bp long.

What do you think ?
    Is it now OK to align 454 reads with TopHat ?
    If yes, do you have any recommendation concerning the parameters to use ?

Thanks a lot !

Muriel

How long are your reads?

Comment

As 454 data is written in binary .sff format, how does one tell how long the reads are? Standard tools for ascii text such as grep, awk, wc, etc can't be utilized...

Comment

My data are in fast format.
        It seems that length are from 60 to 900 bp...

I haven't trim on quality and length, maybe I should ? Which tool to use ? I used Sickle for another project with Illumina data but I heard it's not the best for 454, is it true ?

Comment

Originally posted by MurielGB View Post
          My data are in fast format.
          It seems that length are from 60 to 900 bp...
          You could run this with BBMap, which is more error-tolerant than Tophat. For reads over 500bp, though, the command line would be a little different, as it needs to run in PacBio mode:

(index)
          mapPacBio8k.sh ref=reference.fasta -Xmx23g

(map)
          mapPacBio8k.sh in=reads.fq out=mapped.sam xstag=unstranded maxindel=200000 qin=33 intronlen=10 -Xmx23g

The "-Xmx23g" sets the amount of memory to use; it should be set to around 85% of physical memory.

I haven't trim on quality and length, maybe I should ? Which tool to use ? I used Sickle for another project with Illumina data but I heard it's not the best for 454, is it true ?
          Don't trim unless you have problems with the mapping rates. But I'm not sure how a trimming tool designed for Illumina data would perform on 454 data, anyway.
          Last edited by Brian Bushnell; 04-30-2014, 09:20 AM.

Comment

Give BBMap a try: http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41057

What state is your reference sequence in (multiple contigs)?

Edit: Brian beat me to it

Brian: The reads here are in fasta format. I assume BBMap will accept them.

Comment

OK thank you, I didn't know this software, I'll have a look on it !

I wanted to use Tophat since I also have Illumina RNA-seq and for these ones I used Tophat and I thought, it would be cool to use the same...

Comment

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
                Edit: Brian beat me to it

Brian: The reads here are in fasta format. I assume BBMap will accept them.
                Yes, it will.

Comment

Sorry, I meant FastQ format...

Comment

No problem, it supports input of fasta, fastq, scarf, and even sam.

Comment

In that case Brian's command line is valid for use.

Comment

What is the output of BBMap ?
                        I want then to use Cufflink, is it ok ?

Comment

What is the output of BBMap ?
                          I want then to use Cufflink, is it ok ?
                          In the example command line above a SAM file.

Comment

If I understand well, I need to split my fastq files because for the short reads I will use bbmap.sh while for the longest ones I need to use mapPacBio8k.sh ?
                            I checked and I have reads from 45 to 1201 bp.

If this is the case, what length should be the max for the short read file used for bbmap.sh ?
                            And which length is the minimum for mapPacBio8k.sh ?

Do you know a tool to do that ?

Since this is RNA seq data, I guess I should index the reference that way :
                            bbmap.sh ref=ref.fasta k=14

But how to choose midpad ? My genome is 460 Mb long and there are 8,000 scaffolds.
                            I guess I could calculate the length of the longest gap in my reference and use a higher value ?

My longest expected read is 1201 bp so should I leave the default value (8,000) for startpad and stoppad ? Or maybe I can put 1,300 ???
                            Can you explain how this is gonna affect the rest of the analysis ?

Finally, if I use bbmap.sh for short reads and mapPacBio8k.sh for long reads, should I build two different index ? One using bbmap.sh and the other using mapPacBio8k.sh ?

Thank you,

Muriel
                            Last edited by MurielGB; 05-01-2014, 06:08 AM.

Comment

If I understand well, I need to split my fastq files because for the short reads I will use bbmap.sh while for the longest ones I need to use mapPacBio8k.sh ?
                              I checked and I have reads from 45 to 1201 bp.

If this is the case, what length should be the max for the short read file used for bbmap.sh ?
                              And which length is the minimum for mapPacBio8k.sh ?

Do you know a tool to do that ?

Since this is RNA seq data, I guess I should index the reference that way :
                              bbmap.sh ref=ref.fasta k=14

But how to choose midpad ? My genome is 460 Mb long and there are 8,000 scaffolds.
                              I guess I could calculate the length of the longest gap in my reference and use a higher value ?

My longest expected read is 1201 bp so should I leave the default value (8,000) for startpad and stoppad ? Or maybe I can put 1,300 ???
                              Can you explain how this is gonna affect the rest of the analysis ?

Finally, if I use bbmap.sh for short reads and mapPacBio8k.sh for long reads, should I build two different index ? One using bbmap.sh and the other using mapPacBio8k.sh ?

Thank you,

Muriel
                              Muriel,

Just use mapPacBio8k.sh for all reads, it will work fine. It has a default midpad of 6000 which will also be fine for those reads. The value of midpad is not very important, as long as it is at least as long as your longest read; it's just there to prevent reads from mapping spanning two adjacent scaffolds.

Since you brought it up, it is worth noting that bbmap has default k=13 while the pacbio version has default k=12 because of pacbio's high error rate. And yes, a longer k can help with rnaseq data that has long introns, so it's probably worth using k=13 or k=14. To set k=14, you need to include that flag both while indexing and while mapping.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                                by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
                                04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
                              • seqadmin
                                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 08:47 AM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                              0 responses