Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alignment and reference genome assembling

When I do the visualization of my sequence alignment data, I noticed that I could get the consensus. Then, what's the difference between sequence alignment and reference genome assembling?

yes you have made the correct observation, they are basically one in the same except in the latter you walk away a new reference from your consensus
    --
    Jeremy Leipzig
    Bioinformatics Programmer
    --
    My blog
    Twitter

Comment

Building your sequence de novo generally requires higher coverage, and you'll end up with lots of contigs that can't be bridged due to repetitive or non-complex sequence. Aligning to a very closely related genome will allow you to easily find discrepancies, even if coverage is not so great. If your coverage is, say, an even 5x, you could call a lot of SNPs. I've found plenty of real, sanger-verified SNPs with 3x coverage. But no de novo assembler will do anything with that.

Also, for a lot of applications, what you really want are the discrepancies between your sample and a reference, so aligning to that reference is a much easier way to find them, rather than building a de novo sample reference, and comparing that to something. Also, de novo won't be totally accurate if your sample is heterozygous, or a mix of samples; at least not Velvet, which is a popular one, and the one I'm most familiar with. Whereas with an aligner, it isn't hard to see that so many reads show one allele at a locus, and so many reads show another.

Comment

Very detailed explanation. Thanks for all the responses.

I'm also using Velvet for sequence assembling. How to visualize the Velvet results? There are a lot of result files from Velvet assembling. How to deal with these files?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
        • seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
        0 responses