No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compiling cufflinks 0.9.x

Hi,

Where do I get bamlib? The http://randspringer.de/bam does not work.

I am trying to compile new cufflinks and tophat and got the folloing message:

./configure
    checking for bamlib... configure: error: We could not detect the bam libraries (version or higher). If you have a staged bam library (still not installed) please specify $BAM_ROOT in your environment and do not give a PATH to --with-bam option. If you are sure you have bam installed, then check your version number looking in <bam/version.hpp>. See http://randspringer.de/bam for more documentation.

Thanks in advance.

This is a problem with TopHat 1.1.0 as well which I have been trying to compile on a Solaris machine all morning. I thought for a moment it might have been BamTools (a C++ API for BAM files) but the version I found does not appear to have the appropriate headers. Has to be something else.

Hopefully Cole will be able to provide an answer.

Comment

That error message is incorrect and misleading - my apologies. I'll update the build scripts to make it right. In the meantime, I suggest you take a look at the "Getting started" page:

http://cufflinks.cbcb.umd.edu/tutorial.html

Which describes how to install the BAM libraries such that you build can Cufflinks.
      Last edited by Cole Trapnell; 10-04-2010, 08:12 AM.

Comment

Thanks. I should have realized it would be simple.

Comment

hey cole;

I am still getting the error
          checking for bamlib... configure: error: We could not detect the bam libraries (version or higher). If you have a staged bam library (still not installed) please specify $BAM_ROOT in your environment and do not give a PATH to --with-bam option. If you are sure you have bam installed, then check your version number looking in <bam/version.hpp>. See http://randspringer.de/bam for more documentation.

installing TOPHAT. I have SAMTOOLS installed, but in my home/bin as I do not have permission to install apps on the machine. I looked at the configure and it appears to be a problem with idenfying the version number. I tried using the with-bam option and setting BAM_ROOT to no avail. Help would be really appreciated.

Previous versions of tophat were no problem.

Cheers
          Dennis

Comment

Actually, the answer is the same for Tophat as for Cufflinks;

In my case, I just changed the instructions to use /home/user/bin/samtools

Download the SAM tools
            Unpack the SAM tools tarball and cd to the SAM tools source directory.
            Build the SAM tools by typing make at the command line.
            Choose a directory into which you wish to copy the SAM tools binary, the included library libbam.a, and the library headers. A common choice is /usr/local/. (I used /home/user/bin/samtools)
            Copy libbam.a to the lib/ directory in the folder you've chosen above (e.g. /usr/local/lib/) - /home/user/bin/samtools/lib
            Create a directory called "bam" in the include/ directory (e.g. /usr/local/include/bam) /home/user/bin/samtools/include/bam
            Copy the headers (files ending in .h) to the include/bam directory you've created above (e.g. /usr/local/include/bam)
            Copy the samtools binary to some directory in your PATH.

Comment

this is still not working for me, trying to install tophat 1.1.0
              I copied the samtools binary into $BASE/bin, which is in my PATH
              then I created $BASE/bin/lib
              and copied libbam.a into this folder
              then I created $BASE/bin/include/bam
              and copied all headers (*.h) into that folder.

I still get

when I configure tophat.

I tried to set BAM_ROOT to any of the above folders but that didn't make a difference either. http://randspringer.de/bam doesn't exist.

Comment

Diffculty in installing topHat/Cufflinks

Cufflinks and topHat are wonderful softwares, I can't wait to use them on my RNA-seq analysis.
                I tried to install topHat from source code.
                I followed your instructions, and also install samtools again.
                It seems to me that libbam.a never created in my samtools directory, so I cannot add it to the topHat/cufflinks path.

Comment

it's working for me now. Turns out that I had to use the --with-bam option and I was confused by the error message which said not to use this option.
                  Anyway, here is what I did (basically the same as posted above):

I'm installing in $HOME/software
                  the executable will go in $HOME/software/bin

Code:
                  mkdir $HOME/software/bin/lib

mkdir -p $HOME/software/bin/include/bam
                  Copy files from the samtools source into those new directories. I had downloaded and untar'ed samtools in $HOME/downloads:
                  Code:
                  cp $HOME/downloads/samtools-0.1.8/libbam.a $HOME/software/bin/lib
                  cp $HOME/downloads/samtools-0.1.8/*.h $HOME/software/bin/include/bam

wget [url]http://tophat.cbcb.umd.edu/downloads/tophat-1.1.0.tar.gz[/url]
                  tar -xzvf tophat-1.1.0.tar.gz
                  cd tophat-1.1.0
                  ./configure --prefix=$HOME/software --with-bam=$HOME/software/bin
                  make
                  make install
                  now it's working fine.

Comment

I eventually downloaded samtools 1.0.7a and followed your instructions, then I downloaded binary of tophat.
                    It work (as it seems from running the test_data) .
                    thank you very much

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                    • seqadmin
                      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post seqadmin  
                    Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
                    0 responses