Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Y-adapters better for low diversity library

I have had a problem with base calling due to a low diversity library on Miseq. I used P5 and P7 adapters with two amplification steps. The library is a PCR product. Would Y adapters be a better option, or am I not on the right track.

Your adapters probably aren't the problem, it's just the fact that it's a low diversity library. What % phiX did you spike in and what was your cluster density?

Comment

Y-adapters could indeed be better (by 50%; because there will be no P5toP5 and no P7toP7 ligations) but they are unlikely to be the problem, in my eyes.
      We do not know anything about your current adapters and objectives though.
      Last edited by luc; 10-08-2015, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nrobic View Post
        I have had a problem with base calling due to a low diversity library on Miseq. I used P5 and P7 adapters with two amplification steps. The library is a PCR product. Would Y adapters be a better option, or am I not on the right track.
        With your approach, using adapters is not possible. There are some options to increase diversity of amplicons:
        1- Sequencing pool of different amplicons
        2- Spiking in a high diversity library
        3- increasing amplicons library diversity by adding 0-3 diversity nucleotides to 5' end of target specific sequences of primers (3' to adapter overhang)

Comment

Also loading a lower concentration (ie lower cluster density) will help

Comment

My first experiment with Y-adapters shows the base caller problem to be minimal as evaluated by the read 1-2 base intensity graph in Illumina SAV. The variant caller also shows a great reduction in false variants. I still need to load my control for comparison and repeat this finding again - Thanks

Comment

PhiX

I went as high as 20% with minimal improvement

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
              0 responses