No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Performing many pairwise alignments

Hi all,

I've stumbled into an issue in my analysis for which I haven't been able to think of a single solution.
    I have ~4,000 distinct pairs of orthologous sequences, and I would like to have global alignments for each pair. I am not interested in a multiple sequence alignment, but simply distinct pairwise alignments. In papers with similar-sized data sets, authors have briefly mentioned that they used standard alignment programs, like ClustalW, MUSCLE, or T-Coffee. However, short of inputing each pair of sequences at a time into these programs (i.e. thousands of inputs!), I haven't been able to understand how that can be done in those programs. As far as I can tell, the set of sequences one supplies as input will undergo a multiple sequence alignment.

Am I missing something in how to use those programs for this problem? Or is this an issue that must be dealt with Perl programming?

Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

This sounds like a situation where you really need a script. You don't say how your data is currently structured, but you'll probably only need a very simple script to automate the submission of 4000 jobs to any alignment program.

Of course your next problem will be what to do with 4000 pairwise alignments, so you'll probably need a script for that too eventually...

Comment

Try needleall from EMBOSS 6.2.0 or later for many-to-many Needleman-Wunsch global alignment:

Comment

Thanks! That helps a lot! I tried EMBOSS's needleall, and it does wonderfully in aligning pairs, but I still need to do some scripting to parse that output. Eventually, I want to have each alignment in Phylip format for PAML.

Cheers!

Comment

The EMBOSS tools support a range of output files, but you may still need some scripting...

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
            by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist on Modified Bases...
            Yesterday, 07:01 AM
          • seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
          0 responses