No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tophat discovers junctions at same coordinates on opposite strands

Dear all,

I have a question regarding junctions discovery in Tophat (version 2.0.6). I have mapped an unstranded RNA-seq library (single-end 107bp reads) to the human genome and provided gene models as a guide (Ensembl GTF, option --transcriptome-index).
    It is not explicitly documented how the strand of the discovered junctions (file junctions.bed) is attributed, but I assumed that:
    - if the junction is in the annotation GTF file, the orientation of each junction is given according to the strand of transcripts at this location.
    - if the junction is novel, the orientation may be given by the donor/acceptor sites. For example, if the nucleotides adjacent to the potential exon parts are GT-AG, the junction should be on the + strand, but if it is the reverse-complement CT-AC, the junction is probably on the - strand. Do you think this what is done?

I have now some doubts since I observed 2 junctions with the exact same coordinates to be reported on both + and - strands, in the same sample. How is that possible?

Here is an excerpt from junctions.bed file (note that the BED coordinates represent the limits of the flanking regions which are defined by the span of the reads overlapping the junction):
    chr19 3612320 3613105 JUNC00070694 2 + 3612320 3613105 255,0,0 2 91,50 0,735
    chr19 3612320 3613161 JUNC00070695 9 - 3612320 3613161 255,0,0 2 91,106 0,735

Apparently there are 2 Ensembl gene models at this location, on both strands: http://useast.ensembl.org/Homo_sapie...NST00000447295
    However, I don't understand how Tophat manages to attributes reads to either the + or - strands... Given that the library is unstranded, it should not be possible to attribute any of these 11 reads to their strand of origin. Am I missing something here? Did anyone encounter a similar situation?
    Thanks for your help
    Julien

Yes. I observed similar outcomes here. And I assume "-" is assigned to reverse compliment alignment and vice versa. And any subsequent program that deals with it should merge "+" with "-" if it is not strand specific.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
    • seqadmin
      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
    0 responses