Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• qPCR vs Qubit, big difference

We have prepared a TruSeq DNA PCR-free library, and quantification with Qubit gives roughly 10 times higher concentrations than qPCR (range 4-50 times difference). Could this be because of poor adapter ligation efficiency, and is this normal for a PCR-free library? I was told by the local Illumina rep that such a big difference is not normal. We are using the KAPA Universal qPCR kit.
    Jon

Originally posted by JBKri View Post
    We have prepared a TruSeq DNA PCR-free library, and quantification with Qubit gives roughly 10 times higher concentrations than qPCR (range 4-50 times difference). Could this be because of poor adapter ligation efficiency, and is this normal for a PCR-free library? I was told by the local Illumina rep that such a big difference is not normal. We are using the KAPA Universal qPCR kit.
    Jon
    Sure, it could be low ligation efficiency. Could be an issue with your input DNA -- like maybe it is damaged. Maybe has a lot of abasic sites or whatnot that prevent many of the amplicons from amplifying. If you used a PCR-based method to construct the libraries you might not have even noticed.

Four-fold lower concentration via qPCR would be no big deal. But 50-fold?

Anyway, as long as you can get enough to cluster, it probably doesn't matter.

--
    Phillip

Comment

Originally posted by pmiguel View Post
      Sure, it could be low ligation efficiency. Could be an issue with your input DNA -- like maybe it is damaged. Maybe has a lot of abasic sites or whatnot that prevent many of the amplicons from amplifying. If you used a PCR-based method to construct the libraries you might not have even noticed.

Four-fold lower concentration via qPCR would be no big deal. But 50-fold?

Anyway, as long as you can get enough to cluster, it probably doesn't matter.

--
      Phillip
      thanks, these samples were prepared PCR-free. We believe the DNA quality was good. I fear we might have a problem with the qPCR workflow and/or instrument. We typically see quite a lot of variation between replicates in a qPCR. We will repeat the qPCR for this library.

Comment

thanks, these samples were prepared PCR-free. We believe the DNA quality was good. I fear we might have a problem with the qPCR workflow and/or instrument. We typically see quite a lot of variation between replicates in a qPCR. We will repeat the qPCR for this library.
        Just an update: we repeated the qPCR; it gave roughly the same results. We ran the library on our MiSeq; we got a low-ish cluster density (525 K/mm2) from loading 6 pM, so it seems the difference between the Qubit and qPCR is real and probably due to low ligation efficiency. The sample that had the extreme 50-fold difference actually had a mistake during the first bead cleanup (wrong ratio)...
        Jon
        Last edited by JBKri; 03-09-2015, 08:38 AM.

Comment

So then were most of your samples about 4x different between Qubit and qPCR? This seems more reasonable, but still fewer doubly-ligated molecules than I would expect.

Comment

Originally posted by kerplunk412 View Post
            So then were most of your samples about 4x different between Qubit and qPCR? This seems more reasonable, but still fewer doubly-ligated molecules than I would expect.
            The average was around 6-7x difference. Is this much less than typical?
            Jon

Comment

Jon
              Keep in mind people rarely check this and so won't give you a useful answer in most cases.

For no-amp libraries direct measurements of the amplicons themselves are necessary -- just use qPCR to quantify them.

I mean it's fine to sit around wringing your hands because only about 10% of the fragments you introduced into the assay actually produced amplicons, but the vast preponderance of people who do this sort of work would be blissfully unaware of their inadequacy in this area. So why sweat it?

Keeping it in the back of your mind is probably the best idea. Look for ways to improve the "quality" of your input DNA and look for issues with your pipettors, etc. But if you can scape together enough library to cluster then declare victory and move on. (This is for no-amp libraries only -- once you have PCR amplification involved in your prep methodology you should hold the final product to a higher standard.)

--
              Phillip

Comment

Originally posted by pmiguel View Post
                Keep in mind people rarely check this and so won't give you a useful answer in most cases.

For no-amp libraries direct measurements of the amplicons themselves are necessary -- just use qPCR to quantify them.

I mean it's fine to sit around wringing your hands because only about 10% of the fragments you introduced into the assay actually produced amplicons, but the vast preponderance of people who do this sort of work would be blissfully unaware of their inadequacy in this area. So why sweat it?

Keeping it in the back of your mind is probably the best idea. Look for ways to improve the "quality" of your input DNA and look for issues with your pipettors, etc. But if you can scape together enough library to cluster then declare victory and move on. (This is for no-amp libraries only -- once you have PCR amplification involved in your prep methodology you should hold the final product to a higher standard.)

--
                Phillip
                Yeah, that's pretty much how we feel, decent results for a first try, everyone is happy.
                Thanks,
                Jon

Comment

Jon
                  Based on data I have seen from our kits I think only 1/6 or 1/7 efficiency is a bit low. However I agree with pmiguel that if you have enough for cluster generation you are probably good to go, especially with PCR-free libraries. I don't think adapter ligation to dsDNA has been shown to introduce much bias, otherwise I may worry about the low ligation efficiency.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                    Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                    by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
                    04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
                  • seqadmin
                    Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                    by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                    04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 11:49 AM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post seqadmin  
                  Started by seqadmin, 04-24-2024, 08:47 AM
                  0 responses