Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removal of <110bp primer-dimers without beads?

Hi all,

I was wondering whether anyone has come across a column-based cleanup kit, which would remove large primers (EMP 16S design) and primer-dimers of around 100bp. Or alternatively, protocols to "abuse" silica columns to behave accordingly.

I'm running a course with students, so I am pretty sure the budget won't stretch for beads and magnetic plates. Unfortunately, given my number of students and time-constraint, I cannot always do the right thing and get the PCR optimised properly - I'm happy it works most of the time .

I've also come across a sample recently (raw milk), where all my troubleshooting wouldn't get rid of the pesky primer-dimers. So I can appreciate that this would happen to one of my flock.

Thanks!
    Mike

The beads should be cheaper than the columns, you do not need to use the m most expensive ones (Ampure). You can get also cheap magnet setups from ebay.

Zymo has columns for size selection, I do not know details and have never tried them:
    The Select-a-Size DNA Clean & Concentrator Kit (Select-a-Size DCC) is a size selection DNA kit that provides the quickest and easiest method for purifying a desired range of DNA fragments sizes from library preps, PCR, endonuclease digestions, ligations, etc. Simply adjust the binding conditions for the desired cut

Comment

Have you looked into making your own beads, starting with Seramag Speedbeads? It's very cheap and works pretty well.

Comment

Thanks for your help!

Originally posted by luc View Post
        You can get also cheap magnet setups from ebay.
        Not sure I can get a purchase order number for that (), but do you have examples?

Originally posted by teuthbrush
        Have you looked into making your own beads, starting with Seramag Speedbeads? It's very cheap and works pretty well.
        No! That sounds neat. Are there any published protocols around?

Comment

Originally posted by Cistron View Post
          Thanks for your help!

Not sure I can get a purchase order number for that (), but do you have examples?

No! That sounds neat. Are there any published protocols around?

OpenWetware also has one that is a bit more in-depth: https://openwetware.org/wiki/SPRI_bead_mix

Comment

search Ebay for "Magnetic Bead Separation Rack for 96-Well PCR Tube Plate AMPure illumina"
            or
            "Magnetic beads separator rack for Ampure beads made for 0.3 mL PCR tubes", $29,
            or "Magnetic Beads Separator Rack Stand Ampure 1.5 mL Eppendorf Tubes Separation"

Comment

Originally posted by teuthbrush View Post
              Ah, super!

Originally posted by luc View Post
              search Ebay for "Magnetic Bead Separation Rack for 96-Well PCR Tube Plate AMPure illumina"
              or
              "Magnetic beads separator rack for Ampure beads made for 0.3 mL PCR tubes", $29,
              or "Magnetic Beads Separator Rack Stand Ampure 1.5 mL Eppendorf Tubes Separation"
              Thanks a bunch!

Anyone experimented with the DIY versions off Thingiverse?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
              0 responses