SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Sequencing Technologies/Companies > Illumina/Solexa

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help with first round PCR optimization for Illumina MiSeq Metabarcoding Library Prep shreve697 Sample Prep / Library Generation 13 01-24-2017 03:56 AM
Bioinformatics pipeline for Illumina MiSeq paired end data malandkib Bioinformatics 4 11-16-2016 06:28 AM
Hello SEQanswers! (MiSeq/NextSeq) buckiseq Introductions 10 06-23-2016 02:05 PM
data analysis of miseq pipeline on detecting multiple resistance [email protected] Illumina/Solexa 1 03-08-2016 02:20 PM
What are you doing with your MiSeq/NextSeq waste? bethm Illumina/Solexa 4 11-27-2014 02:46 AM

Old 12-14-2016, 08:13 AM   #1
klebsiella

Default pipeline optimization for NextSeq vs Hi/Miseq

Dear all,

I heard comments lately, from two sources, that NextSeq 500 "requires extensive bioinformatics pipeline optimization and it has been very challenging for most labs with experience in NGS Illumina technology".

I personally believe they mean the bcl2fastq conversion, since both platforms use different chemistry. However, I want to know from you if any downstream analysis, following the generation of the fastq file, needs a special bioinformatics treatment or is challenging, as both sources claimed.

For me, I am not sure why treating a fastq file will differ either it is generated by NextSeq 500 or HiSeq or MiSeq !!!

Any comments/clarifications are much appreciated,
All best and thanks,
klebsiella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 08:40 AM   #2
Brian Bushnell
Super Moderator

Downstream analysis of NextSeq data is no different from HiSeq or MiSeq data; I have no idea what they're talking about. Of course, it's much lower quality, but sometimes HiSeq data comes out low-quality, so a robust pipeline for processing HiSeq data will process NextSeq data with no issues. There will be additional false-positive variant calls, inferior assemblies, additional noise in analyses, and all the other expected effects of using low-quality data, but that just means your results will be worse, not that the pipeline needs to be any different. Oh, and of course the header format is completely different again, but any pipeline that depends on a specific Illumina header format is just asking for trouble.
Brian Bushnell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bioinformatics, fastq, hiseq, nexseq, ngs