Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BWA MEM question

I am using BWA MEM to map 250 bp MiSeq PE reads. I am doing targeted genomic sequencing, enriching the library for specific transgenic sequences. I make a reference sequence, map all of the reads to that reference (using the default parameters). What I get are many improperly mapped reads. Some of the reads that map have 20 - 50 mismatches between the read and the reference, but it maps them none-the-less. There are similar sequences contaminating the sample apparently, but I don't want these spurious mappings. How can I increase the stringency of the mapping, so I don't get all of these imporperly mapped reads? I have more than enough coverage to throw out any bad mappings and still have tons of coverage.

Thanks!
    CHObot

P.S. I am looking for chimeric reads at the ends of the mappings to determine transgenic insertion sites. Is BWA MEM the best algorithm for this? It seems to work, albeit with a lot of manual examination of chimeric reads.

you should be able to threshold the alignments by the MAPQ value. I'm not sure of the specific cutoff but let's say 20.

Code:
    samtools view -bq 20 alignments.bam > filtered.bam
    bwa has a very descriptive MAPQ field so this *should* work. Optionally maybe there's another tool out there that can specifically filter by mismatches if you want to keep the mismatches down to say 4 or 5% of the read length.
    /* Shawn Driscoll, Gene Expression Laboratory, Pfaff
    Salk Institute for Biological Studies, La Jolla, CA, USA */

Comment

can some post general commands to align fq PE with hg19
      where should I start with ?

Comment

the bwa manual webpage gives examples of the various bwa commands:

Comment

I used bwa aln -t 4 -f testsample.sai /GATKbundle/ucsc.hg19.fasta /testsample.fastq
          It was finished within 2 minutes and generated testsample.sai. Is this the alignment file ?
          I used bowtie and it took 4-5 hrs but bwa is so fast ??? something is wrong ????

Originally posted by mastal View Post
          the bwa manual webpage gives examples of the various bwa commands:

http://bio-bwa.sourceforge.net/bwa.shtml

Comment

bwa aln is part of a 2-step process.

the first step generates the .sai file.

the second step is bwa samse/sampe, depending on whether you have single end or paired-end reads, and should give you a .sam file.

the manual will give you the details.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
              by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
              04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
            • seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
            0 responses