Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird bioanalzyer data, what do you think it means?

We have done NGS on RNA/microRNA from tissue samples before, but this is our first time attempting microRNA-SEQ on RNA from serum exosomes. We used the Qiagen serum exoRNeasy kit and saw basically all the samples look like this when they were run on the bioanalyzer with the Total RNA Pico Kit. Is it worth trying to create libraries from this?
    Attached Files

For miRNA-seq they are probably fine, miRNA seems to be pretty resistant to degradation. That being said, you will probably end up with more non-miRNA reads than you would with a tissue sample. I say use as much of the RNA as you can and give it a shot.

I have extracted RNA from plasma and it looks pretty much the same, and I have had mixed results with the library prep. There is a theory that most plasma RNA is contained within exosomes and that is why it is not quickly degraded, so it makes sense that my plasma samples look like your exosomes. I actually did RNA extraction from tissue culture exosomes way back in grad school (~2009), but I don't think I ever ran that on a Bioanalyzer.

Comment

I have run isolated RNA from exosomes in tissue culture media before on the bioanalyzer and it looked a lot different. However, because of the large volume of culture media I isolated exosomes via ultracentrif, as opposed to this kit. I also ran miR-SEQ and found there are a lot of microRNAs that are highly expressed in exosomes and a lot that are barely (if at all) present exosomes compared to tissue. Other studies have shown the same in serum exosomes.

The Qiagen tech support claims this looks completely normal, and not to worry about it. ...I guess we'll see what happens.

Looking at the TruSeq small RNA library kit it says it can use 10-50ng of purified small RNAs, which to me is what this bioanalzyer data looks like. So i guess i'll give it a shot.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
      • seqadmin
        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
      0 responses