Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Separating aligned reads

I have been using bowtie2 to align my reads to an indexed reference genome and used the --un-conc and --al-conc functions to separate out the aligned and non aligned reads into separate files, however I have just received a new data set which has been merged. I have tried using the -U option in bowtie2 to see if this worked but it doesn't seem to. Does anyone know of another program I could use for this and the appropriate command? I am looking into BWA to see if this is an option but am new to the program.

Thanks,
    Tom

You can do that with BBMap:

(index)
    bbmap.sh ref=reference.fasta -Xmx29g

(map)
    bbmap.sh in=reads.fq outm=mapped.fq outu=unmapped.fq -Xmx29g

That will split it into two fastq files. If you change the output file extensions to ".sam" instead of ".fq", you will get sam output. If you have paired reads in 2 files, you would do this:

bbmap.sh in1=reads1.fq in2=reads2.fq outm1=mapped.fq outm2=mapped2.fq outu1=unmapped1.fq outu2=unmapped2.fq -Xmx29g

The "-Xmx29g" indicates how much memory java is allowed to use; set that at ~85% of your physical memory.
    Last edited by Brian Bushnell; 04-06-2014, 08:51 AM.

Comment

samtools view can filter your .bam for mapped or unmapped reads. Unmapped reads will have the 4 flag set, mapped reads will not.

Comment

@Brian Bushnell I have fasta files, would BBMap still work this this?

@swbarnes2 I dont have a .bam file so cannot use samtools

Bowtie now accepts my files but is just outputting into the .sam file instead of the --un-con or --al-conc files I have specified although the files them-selves are created by BOWTIE2

Comment

doesn't --un-con and --al-conc just state wether pairs could be mapped concordantly and not whether they could be mapped at all?

Comment

@sphil yes it does, just realised this and without -conc i works absolutely fine. Thanks for all your help.

Comment

Originally posted by thh32 View Post
              @Brian Bushnell I have fasta files, would BBMap still work this this?
              Yes, BBMap works with fastq or fasta files.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
              0 responses