No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EdgeR LogCpm and LogFC

Dear all,

First of all, I realize there are already several topics on this forum regarding this subject, however none of these seemed to solve my question.
    I am analyzing RNA-Seq data with EdgeR. I have found several DE genes and now my idea is to plot these DE genes. I would like to do so in terms of changes in logCPM, aswell as in logFC.
    Furthermore, I realize these values can be found in the LRT table provided by the glmLRT function when testing for a particular coefficient or contrast matrix. However, I can not seem to reproduce these results using my count matrix (DGE list) to start with.

Here is what I have tried so far:
    'y' is my DGE list with counts and fitted tagwise dispersion
    'fit' is my glmFit, fitted according to my design matrix.
    'SignGeneID' is the gene ID of a DE gene
    The three columns I provide in my calculation code are the columns of the respective coefficients I want to test (so, in this particular case, columns 1,7 and 13 represent three control treatments of three separate patients and columns 3,9,15 represent three treatments.

For the LogCpm:
    Code:
    design <- model.matrix(~ patient +Treat+Time + Treat:Time)
    fcRaw <- y$counts[SignGeneID,c(1,7,13)] / y$counts[SignGeneID,c(3,9,15)]
    log2FC <- log(fcRaw , base = 2)
    mean(log2FC) #not equal to LRT table FC
    I have tried several variations on this basic calculations, however I can not reach the same conclusion as the LRT table provided me with.

For the LogFC, I can get to the same results of the LRT table through the coefficients of my glmFit in this fashion, with "TreatDPN" being the coefficient I have tested:

Code:
    coef <- "TreatDPN"
    logFC <- fit2$coefficients[, coef, drop = FALSE]/log(2)
    However, again, I can not come to the LRT table reported value starting from my raw count data. What am I overlooking here?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Koen.

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
    Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
    by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
    04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
  • seqadmin
    Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
    by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
    04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by seqadmin, Today, 11:49 AM
0 responses
0 likes
Last Post seqadmin  
Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 08:47 AM
0 responses