No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cuffdiff output different FPKM if the comparing samples are different

Hi,

Hope someone can kindly help me. I am confused about why the FPKM of a gene is different if different comparing samples are used!

I have four samples (say A, B, C, and D) and I run two cuffdiff processes:

cuffdiff I: cuffdiff annotation.gtf -p 8 sampleA sampleB sampleC
    cuffdiff II: cuffdiff annotation.gtf -p 8 sampleA sampleB sampleC sampleD

(1)The FPKM of gene X in sampleA (and also in sampleB and sampleC) should be the same in both cuffdiff I and cuffdiff II. However, they are different.

(2) Even though for gene Y, cuffdiff I and cuffdiff II have similar log2(sampleA(Y)/sampleB(Y)), the t-statistic from cuffdiff I and cuffdiff II are quite different. cuffdiff II seem to have smaller value of the t-statistic even if the log ratio of sampleA/sampleB are similar in cuffdiff I and cuffdiff II.

The weird thing is that all the parameters are the same between cuffdiff I and cuffdiff II. The only difference is I add one more sample (sampleD).

Does this mean that the detection of differential expression largely dependent on the number of samples you provide? It seems that both the FPKM and the way they calculate t-statistic (between two samples) are influenced by the number of samples you provide, although some of the samples are not even compared (in my case, sampleC and sampleD). This would cause a big issue especially when dealing with time course data.

Thanks for your kind help.
    Last edited by rossini; 09-02-2011, 08:18 PM.

what's the version of cufflinks?

Comment

I used the latest version: 1.0.3 release - 6/1/2011

Comment

I have the same problem.I found that different expression gene from I is more than II,and include II.
        My cuffdiff version is 2.0.2.

Comment

Acoording to me:
          cufdiff results will vary based on how many samples your providing, It always calculate based on the first sample. It will produce better results if one have more no of replicates. else cufdiff is not a best option when you do not have any replicates and trying to find differentally expressed genes across many samples.. that might not be good idea.

Try cufdiff only when replicates are available then it gives better result.
          Krishna

Comment

Hi Rossini,
            I observed the same as you. I have 3 tissues, 3 genotypes and 2 biological replicates. When I run cuffdiff with all samples and compare the number of differentially expressed genes between sample A and sample B, I have twice the number of differentially expressed genes than when I run sample A and sample B.
            Did you figure out why?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
            • seqadmin
              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
            0 responses