No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Failed index reads with homegrown adapters

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help. I am trying to sequence amplicons on the MiSeq with adapters and barcodes we have designed in the lab. The same sequences have been used successfully with other targets. My sequences are ending up in undetermined reads due to an index failure but the read 1 and 2 sequences look fine. I have been pooling one or two of my libraries with Illumina kit-generated libraries on the run and the other libraries have worked. I have also Sanger sequenced the amplicons to check that the barcodes are correct.

Any suggestions?!

Thanks,
    Rachel

Hi Rachel,

what ended up in the undetermined bin?
    Just some random homopolymers or actual index sequences?
    If you look at that (e.g. in the html report), you usually can spot if you find the reverse complement or reverse indices in your undetermined bin. That is usually the no.1 thing to look for.

Comment

Hi,
      The actual sequence data for the insert/amplicons went into undetermined reads. The indexes/barcodes did not sequence. I've checked all the indexes/barcodes that were read on the run and there is nothing looking like mine.

Thanks!

Comment

It is possible to get the index read as a separate fastq file with bcl2fastq v.2.xx. If you have access to the raw data folder you may want to check into getting that file. If those reads look like nothing you expect (to a large extent, there will always be permutations of bases that can't be explained easily but that fraction should be relatively small) then there must be an error in your experimental design (but you can worry about that later).

Comment

In your sample sheet have you reverse complimented your i7 sequences? i5 is sequenced 5'->3', i7 is sequenced 3'->5'
          Microbial ecologist, running a sequencing core. I have lots of strong opinions on how to survey communities, pretty sure some are even correct.

Comment

If there isn't anything sensitive, you could post your adapter/primer sequences and sample sheet and have another set of eyes make sure everything is right on that end before trying to diagnose what could have happened at sample prep and sequencing

Comment

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
              It is possible to get the index read as a separate fastq file with bcl2fastq v.2.xx. If you have access to the raw data folder you may want to check into getting that file. If those reads look like nothing you expect (to a large extent, there will always be permutations of bases that can't be explained easily but that fraction should be relatively small) then there must be an error in your experimental design (but you can worry about that later).
              You can also tweak a file on the MiSeq to configure it to create index reads for every sample(and Undetermined) by following the guide here: https://github.com/aryeelab/umi/wiki...ut-index-reads It's basically just adding one line to a text file telling it to output index reads.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
              0 responses