No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Priming MinION flow cell

Hi!

I've been working with the MinION from Oxford Nanopore for a small project. I used the Rapid Sequencing Kit (RAD002) and followed the protocol from the Rapid Lambda Control Experiment. I've been going through the protocol step by step, trying to understand all the steps. Most of them I've figured out. One step however I don't fully understand: Priming the flow cell.

Before loading your library you need to prepare a priming mix, containing RBF and nuclease-free water. First you load an amount into the priming port, then you load some into the flow cell via the SpotOn port. Why is this necessary? What exactly does this priming mix do?

Another question: are the Library Loading Beads really necessary? Or can you get the same results without them?

Hope someone can help!

What exactly does this priming mix do?
    I can't give you an exact answer, but my understanding is that the priming mix includes ATP and additional chemicals that improve the rate of sequencing. The second flush of the priming mix (with the SpotON port open) helps to clear any blockages near the SpotON port and generate a bit of suction to help with the drip loading -- the closer this is done to sample loading the better.

are the Library Loading Beads really necessary? Or can you get the same results without them?
    Loading beads bring the DNA closer to the pores prior to the start of sequencing. The loading beads aren't necessary for sequencing to be carried out, but they are necessary for high-yield (and high-speed) sequencing. The same results will not be achieved without library loading beads.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
    • seqadmin
      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
    0 responses