Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accession Numbers when publishing

Dear community, is it not obligatory to add an Accession Number whenever publishing results derived from NGS? I think it should be, I have found several articles with no numbers and that has stopped me from doing important comparisons. Thank you for reading and good luck.

I know this may sound weird, but have you considered submitting their data?

Btw, could you share the articles please?

Comment

Sorry, but what do you mean by "submitting their data"?

Comment

Originally posted by fibar View Post
        Sorry, but what do you mean by "submitting their data"?
        If the data mentioned in the articles is public but not in the archive. Maybe the authors did not have enough time/resources to submit the data to SRA.

Comment

Journals will have their own requirements, I think usually they do require it, so check what the journal's policy is. If you find an article in a journal that requires the data be made available (on SRA or otherwise) and the data hasn't been made available or an accession isn't given in the paper, contact the journal and ask if they have any information. I did that once and the journal contacted the authors to have them upload their data (most of the data was there they just forgot one of the samples).

Comment

Thank you for your replies.
            What I meant originally was that NGS raw data should be made public whenever you publish the corresponding paper (which would contain the accession number). In my opinion, it should be the policy of every journal.

Here's a nice additional story: Recently I asked for some raw metagenomic data sets to a research group, and the PhD student said he was very busy and that he was going to be able to upload it in two or three months. Hilarious. I will see if the journal's conditions for submission includes uploading raw data.

And here's a paper for which I couldn't find accession number or uploaded data:
            Pyrosequencing Analysis of Bacterial Diversity in 14 Wastewater Treatment Systems in China
            Xiaohui Wang, Man Hu, Yu Xia, Xianghua Wen and Kun Ding
            Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 2012, 78(19):7042. DOI:
            10.1128/AEM.01617-12.
            Published Ahead of Print 27 July 2012.

All the best.
            Last edited by fibar; 04-30-2015, 08:02 AM.

Comment

If I'm peer reviewing a manuscript I try to make sure that there is an accession number. I would urge everyone else to do the same.

It unfortunately seems to be very common to submit the paper without it and only undertake the hassle of data submission when forced.

Comment

a point on abstracts and accession numbers

Also when preparing or reviewing an article which should have accession numbers, make sure to see that the accession numbers appear in the article's abstract, which also has been a general requirement of journals for many years. This is important because articles behind paywalls cannot be subjected to open full text mining among other types of machine searching techniques, but the abstracts can.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                • seqadmin
                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
                0 responses