SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
50 bp paired end reads vs. 100 bp single end reads efoss Bioinformatics 12 01-15-2014 08:05 PM
Can Cuffdiff treat paired-end and single-end reads at the same time? zun RNA Sequencing 3 06-12-2012 05:37 PM
Can paired-end mapping produce more reads than single-end ? warrenemmett Bioinformatics 13 03-20-2012 11:10 PM
Pipeline to simulate short reads and call indels pmaugeri Bioinformatics 17 03-01-2012 03:45 PM
Bfast, single end reads and large indels gavin.oliver Bioinformatics 1 12-08-2011 07:59 AM

Old 05-21-2008, 01:20 PM   #1
bioinfosm

Default indels using single end short reads!

We had a sample with known 4bp deletion, but no tool would help me detect that...

any suggestions?

SSAHA supposedly does gapped alignment, but it gave me some 'novel' 1 or 2 base indels... not the one we know
bioinfosm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 04:15 PM   #2
swbarnes2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bioinfosm View Post
We had a sample with known 4bp deletion, but no tool would help me detect that...

any suggestions?

SSAHA supposedly does gapped alignment, but it gave me some 'novel' 1 or 2 base indels... not the one we know
SOAP may do it...it seems when you compile it, you specify how large a gap you are allowed to call for in the command line.

"3) Maximum gap size
-DMAXGAP=3
Maximum size of a gap allowed in a read, then "-g" option during running should not exceed this definition."

On the home page, they show 3 as an example, but 4 might work. I don't know how much it will slow down SOAP to allow it to try large gaps.

I know it finds plenty of 2 bp insertions when I use -g 2.
swbarnes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 08:53 AM   #3
BaCh

Indels with 4 bases are on the border of what I would consider "sane" when aligning/assembling short sequences. E.g., a 36mer aligned against the same sequence but with 4 bases deletion gives you a score ratio (= score/expected_score) of barely above 70%.

I normally allow only 1 or 2 errors in Solexa mapping assemblies, but I quickly hacked together a change that will allow you to find indels or base changes with up to 4 bases in a Solexa mapping assembly. Grab http://www.chevreux.org/tmp/mira_2.9...x86_64.tar.bz2
and run the Solexa demo. Have a look at the results in gap4 and decide for yourself whether this would fit your needs.

Warning: Work in progress. Works for me, but not necessarily for you

Regards,
B.
BaCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 04:07 AM   #4
Torst

Default myrialign

Maybe MyriAlign would be of use to you?
http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/myrialign
Torst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 07:49 AM   #5
bioinfosm

SOAP worked nicely on the data... Thanks to the person who shared his script to use soap results and generate indel calls

I was able to see the 4bp known deletion in the sample

Torst - are you the author of Myrialign? I will check it out as well
Old 06-19-2008, 05:23 PM   #6
mchaisso

Depending on your coverage, you can try assembling the reads, then simply blasting the contigs against the genome. I know of a few groups trying to do this, but I haven't heard of success, so I'm curious if you try this how far you get.

-mark
mchaisso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 06:23 PM   #7
sparks

Default Aligning with Indels

I've just finished a new aligner that will do indels up to 7bp. I don't have a web site for downloading it but if you'd like to try email novoalign @ gmail.com and I'll send you a copy. It's also at least as speedy as the best of the other aligners.
sparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 10:38 PM   #8
ECO
--Site Admin--

Quote:
SOAP worked nicely on the data... Thanks to the person who shared his script to use soap results and generate indel calls

I was able to see the 4bp known deletion in the sample
Would said person be willing to share the scripts for using soap results? thanks in advance.
ECO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:52 PM   #9
sparks

Novoalign and novopaired will do gapped alignments and is a fair bit faster than SOAP.
I've just released V1.03, this update improves quality scores for novopaired and also fixes a illegal instruction fault reported by one user.
You can download at www.novocraft.com
I've also changed the license term so it's free for any non-profit even if you don't publish in open journals.
Colin
sparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 06:50 AM   #10
bioinfosm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECO View Post
Would said person be willing to share the scripts for using soap results? thanks in advance.
Sorry but I never noticed your message in the new posts!

Sure, I would be happy to share. I used the soap algorithm, and then used a parsing perl script to get the results.

soap -a input -d reference -o prefix -s 10 -g 4

The parser is modified from Liu's script (BGI). You may PM me, and I will mail that to you, but would not want to put it up here..

sm
Old 08-01-2008, 12:57 PM   #11
kmay

Quote:

any suggestions?

Hi!

Glad to read that you managed the task. Is it from a mammalian genome? If so, would you be willing to share your data set with us ( of course NDA can be done)?
We would love to test our mapping on that challenge.

Klaus
kmay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
align, assembly, de novo, indel