SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Applications Forums > RNA Sequencing

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Inferring absolute copy number by using NGS data molcov Bioinformatics 2 12-28-2014 10:47 PM
Did anyone success in working with the broad ABSOLUTE? lix Bioinformatics 0 11-01-2014 08:04 PM
PCR-free; absolute abundance; yeast fadss Illumina/Solexa 0 07-08-2014 12:01 PM
Best way of analysing ABSOLUTE expression values sindrle RNA Sequencing 0 04-28-2014 05:41 AM
absolute k-mer coverage explained (Abyss) harrb Bioinformatics 1 12-21-2010 01:01 PM

Old 01-19-2018, 07:59 PM   #1
queueing

Default absolute microRNA levels

Hi all,
I have a fundamental question that is a bit embarrassingly rudimentry, considering I have been investigating microRNAs for a couple of years now.

I'm working with data from the TCGA and I am hoping to somehow gain insight about how reflective normalized values (e.g., transcripts per million mapped microRNAs) are of the true microRNA levels among different tumors. Is there any way to normalize across tumor samples to better compare these normalized microRNA levels? It seems like people generally assume that this can be done in many cases, but it is not at all clear to me how valid the assumption is. I know little about how sample preparation and degradation come into play to determine final levels.

Follow-up: Given that with TCGA data sets, in many cases the microRNAseq preparation and RNAseq preparation are carried out using the same aliquot, and given that RNAseq data can be more easily normalized across tumors using stably-expressed genes (or groups thereof, as with Cibersort), would some normalization method for the microRNAseq data then be possible based on RNAseq levels for these stable genes from the same aliquot? It seems like this would at least normalize some aspects of the bias.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this subject.

Matt
queueing is offline   Reply With Quote