Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what primer purification level is needed?

I'd like to order some custom oligos for multiplexing using the Illumina adapter/primer sequences, but am not sure what purification level to get (desalt or HPLC). Any experiences/recommendations with homemade primers? Do the deletion/truncation products left after desalting interfere with downstream reactions?
    Last edited by greigite; 04-06-2009, 01:03 PM. Reason: add new information

same question about purification

Hi,
    I have the same question. Did you have any feedback? Maybe,since 2 years have passed, you are now the expert. Do you have any recommendation from your experience?
    Thanks!

Comment

Late reply:
      Illumina states "HPLC is what we use in the lab".
      In the trenches, the guys in my core facility says desalted is fine.
      Just make sure your Tm is ~74 degrees, and calculate using the Illumina primer as your comparison regardless of the program you use to calculate Tm.

Comment

Originally posted by SperSeq View Post
        Hi,
        I have the same question. Did you have any feedback? Maybe,since 2 years have passed, you are now the expert. Do you have any recommendation from your experience?
        Thanks!
        We have been using 'home-brew' MWG synthesized adapters and primers since Feb 2009 and always HPLC purify. We have had no issues with our stocks.

Comment

Desalting is really fine for both custom adapters and custom primers? HPLC is quite expensive.

Comment

WE've been using standard desalted custom sequencing primers for over a year now, and have had excellent results...
            Just remember to get the Tm up to ~70 degrees, so if this requires longer primers, choose a vendor that guarantees the quality of the synthesis...OR check by sequencing a PCR product, cloned into E.coli, derived from your Illumina-ready samples.

Z

Comment

Thanks for the reply. How about custom oligos for adapters? Desalted is sufficient enough?

Comment

For the sequencing primers/amplification primers I have used non HPLC purified variants (they worked fine) but for the adapters we always HPLC purify.

Comment

When we build our own adapters, we perform this using standard desalted primers as well.
                  We add about half of the illumina adapter seq in a primary PCR (we're sequencing a PCR product whose 5' and 3' ends are known and constant), and then install the ends of the illumina adapters using a second PCR step.

All of these primers are regular desalted ~40mers.

Comment

I see. I am now thinking whether to choose oligo synthesized by IDT or Sigma. Any idea which is better? (*wondering if I could ask this question)

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                      Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                      by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                    • seqadmin
                      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post seqadmin  
                    Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                    0 responses