No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• library prep batch effects

Hi Everyone,

Do any of you have a sense of how often (or how badly) you see batch effects of library prep and/or sequencing in RNA-seq data (Illumina Tru-Seq kits) ?

Say I've done an experiment, but I'm not totally convinced I want to run all my samples at once. How bad would it be to prep and sequence 1/2 the libraries now, and then 1/2 later once I am more certain the experiment is worth pursuing further?

In my case, I'm outsourcing both the library prep and the sequencing.

Thanks!

Chris

As long as it is the same service provider, I would not be too concerned. That is one of the advantages of NGS-you can add data run at different times and still be able to compare them. This is the major downfall of arrays, in my opinion. You can't run samples at different times.

I would just confirm with the provider that they will be using the same technology to prep both sets and run both sets. For example, they are currently making libraries on one robot and will be switching to a different one soon.

Comment

Thanks, thats what I'm thinking. I've had problems in the past, but that was when a number of things varied on the provider side. Barring that, perhaps its ok..let's see if anyone else has thoughts.

Comment

We prepare libraries by ourselves. With the same one kits (TruSeq DNA + Exome kits), we did see the duplicate rate increased between 1st and 2nd batch of library preparation. The cDNA libraries prepared by TruSeq RNA kit may have the same issue since both DNA/RNA are using the same enzymes.

Wei

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
        • seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
        0 responses