No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nextera and multiplexing >12 samples?

Hello SEQanswers,

I'm considering a MiSeq for verification of newly assembled plasmids (<10kb per plasmid). Obviously, I'd like to be able to multiplex many plasmids per run.

I know they sell a Nextera kit with 12 barcodes. Has anyone multiplexed ~96 samples together during Nextera sample prep? If so, how much of a pain was it?

Thanks!

Barry

I can't answer your question, but at $100/reaction, isn't this a pricey way to verify plasmids?

Comment

Maybe I'm missing something but here was my thinking -

$1000/run ($750 for MiSeq run, a generous $250 for Nextera sample prep), ~100 plasmids multiplexed per run, so $10/plasmid with very deep coverage. For full plasmid sequence this compares pretty well with sanger at $3-4/read.

Comment

Originally posted by bcanton View Post
        Has anyone multiplexed ~96 samples together during Nextera sample prep? If so, how much of a pain was it?
        We've heard from several customers who are multiplexing 96+ samples using Nextera library prep without any problems. For an example using 96 barcodes, see Adey et al. Genome Biology 2010, 11:R119. The methods section of the paper discusses the design of the barcodes and the sequences are provided in the supplementary tables.
        Last edited by epibio; 08-10-2011, 06:30 AM.
        Connect with Epicentre: Facebook | Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by bcanton View Post
          Maybe I'm missing something but here was my thinking -

$1000/run ($750 for MiSeq run, a generous $250 for Nextera sample prep), ~100 plasmids multiplexed per run, so $10/plasmid with very deep coverage. For full plasmid sequence this compares pretty well with sanger at $3-4/read.
          But isn't Nextera $100 per library reaction? Or do you think you use much smaller amounts of the Nextera reagents than their manual specifies and thereby split it across the multiple plasmids?

Would certainly be cool if it works.

Comment

This could also be of interest, although I'm not sure of pricing...

Comment

Image you have 100 plasmids in a 10x10 grid, you pool them in two dimensions so you have 20 pools with 10 plasmids each. So you only need 20 libraries. The tricky part is downstream informatics.

Comment

Originally posted by DZhang View Post
                Image you have 100 plasmids in a 10x10 grid, you pool them in two dimensions so you have 20 pools with 10 plasmids each. So you only need 20 libraries. The tricky part is downstream informatics.
                Something like this?
                Citation: Neiman M, Lundin S, Savolainen P, Ahmadian A (2011) Decoding a Substantial Set of Samples in Parallel by Massive Sequencing. PLoS ONE 6(3): e17785. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0017785

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                • seqadmin
                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                0 responses