Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to create output directory folder on velvet

Hi all, i'm new here. I already download velvet 1.2.10. After I extract that file, I store it at Desktop/BioTool/velvet.

I try to follow all the command as what manual wrote. The manual wrote like this:

> make
    > ./velveth
    > ./velvetg
    > ./velveth sillyDirectory 21 -shortPaired data/test_reads.fa
    > ./velvetg sillyDirectory

I wrote command like this:

aconty@aconty-VirtualBox:~$ echo `export PATH=$PATH:~/Desktop/BioTool/velvet` >> ~/.bashrc

aconty@aconty-VirtualBox:~$ > make
    aconty@aconty-VirtualBox:~$ > ./velveth
    aconty@aconty-VirtualBox:~$ > ./velvetg
    aconty@aconty-VirtualBox:~$ > ./velveth my_velvet_output 21 -shortPaired data/J99.fa
    my_velvet_output: command not found

How do I create an output folder? Please help me.

If you run ./velveth by itself if should produce output for some basic help on screen. It is not apparent if you were able to see that (and have removed it in the post above).

If you did not then you are going to likely need to add execute permissions to the velvet executables. You can do that by

Code:
    $ chmod a+x velveth velvetg
    Verify that you are able to get the help output by running

Code:
    $ ./velveth
    Then you can run command to start analysis.

Comment

Thank for you quick reply GenoMax. I already add your cmd like this:

aconty@aconty-VirtualBox:~$ echo `export PATH=$PATH:~/Desktop/BioTool/velvet` >> ~/.bashrc
      aconty@aconty-VirtualBox:~$ chmod a+x velveth velvetg
      aconty@aconty-VirtualBox:~$ ./velveth
      aconty@aconty-VirtualBox:~$ ln -s /path/to/Desktop/BioTool/velvet/project/folder/J99.fasta
      ln: failed to create symbolic link ‘./J99.fasta’: File exists
      aconty@aconty-VirtualBox:~$ ln -s /path/to/Desktop/BioTool/velvet/project/J99.fasta
      aconty@aconty-VirtualBox:~$ ln -s /path/to/Desktop/BioTool/velvet/project/HPAG1.fasta
      aconty@aconty-VirtualBox:~$ ./velveth my_velvet_folder 21 -shortPaired data/J99.fa
      aconty@aconty-VirtualBox:~$ ./velvetg
      aconty@aconty-VirtualBox:~$ ./velvetg my_velvet_output
      aconty@aconty-VirtualBox:~$ ./velveth my_velvet_output 35 -fasta -shortPaired -separate J99.fa HPAG1.fa
      aconty@aconty-VirtualBox:~$ ./velvetg my_velvet_output -clean yes -exp_cov 21 -cov_cutoff 2.81 -min_contig_lgth 200

while i'm doing this. There is no feedback from SLUM and doesn't appear any basic held when I type ./velveth or ./velvetg

And the output folder that I want to create is my_velvet_output. I did not see this folder appear in my velvet file. When I create this output folder, it should appear in my velvet file, right? If i'm wrong, please correct me.

one more thing, why I cannot locate my fasta file into my velvet folder. Is there any other correct cmd tht I need to use?

Please help me....

Comment

Velvet will not create the output directory for you.

You need to create a directory ($ mkdir my_velvet_output) where you want the velvet output to go, and give the name of that directory when you run velveth and velvetg.

Note that velveth produces 3 files that are used by velvetg, so you need to give the name of the same directory when you run velvetg subsequent to running velveth.

Also note that if you do more than one run of velvet using the same directory for your output, it will overwrite the files.

But if you are not seeing anything when you type ./velveth or ./velvetg,
        then velvet isn't installed properly.

Comment

Thank mastal, that folder name appear now at home/my_velvet_output, but where should I store my sequence. It is in home same as my_velvet_output or in my velvet folder at Desktop/BioTool/velvet

I try to cmd it again and it's appear like this:

aconty@aconty-VirtualBox:~$ echo `export PATH=$PATH:/Desktop/BioTool/velvet` >> ~/.bashrc
          aconty@aconty-VirtualBox:~$ chmod a+x velveth velvetg
          aconty@aconty-VirtualBox:~$ >./velveth
          aconty@aconty-VirtualBox:~$ >./velveth my_velvet_output
          my_velvet_output: command not found

when I try to call ./velveth my_velvet_output is an error appear.

how do I solve this problem?

Comment

Originally posted by suhalsuhaimi View Post
            aconty@aconty-VirtualBox:~$ >./velveth
            If that produces no help output on screen then something is wrong with compilation of velvet program.

When you did "make" in the source code directory did you see any error(s)?

Can you post the output of the following command?

Code:
            $ file velveth velvetg

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
            • seqadmin
              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
            0 responses