SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Sequencing Technologies/Companies > Illumina/Solexa

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DEXSeq error in estimateDispersions: match.arg(start.method, c("log(y)", "mean")) fpadilla Bioinformatics 14 07-03-2013 02:11 PM
The position file formats ".clocs" and "_pos.txt"? Ist there any difference? elgor Illumina/Solexa 0 06-27-2011 07:55 AM
Helicos: "dark nucleotides" and the coverage parameter Irina Pulyakhina Bioinformatics 0 09-21-2010 03:31 AM
RNA-Seq: Most "dark matter" transcripts are associated with known genes. Newsbot! Literature Watch 0 05-27-2010 02:00 AM
"Systems biology and administration" & "Genome generation: no engineering allowed" seb567 Bioinformatics 0 05-25-2010 12:19 PM

Old 05-02-2013, 10:55 AM   #1
illuminaGA

Post What is "dark cycles"?

Dear All

I am new to NGS. I have a basic question. What is the dark cycles? How to set up the dark cycles running?

Thank you so much.
illuminaGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:21 AM   #2
mastal

They are cycles during which only the chemistry is done, there is no measurement of fluorescence.

Below is a quote from the Illumina website:

http://support.illumina.com/sequenci...questions.ilmn

As part of the answer to the question:
What is the workflow for dual indexing?

"Index Read 2 (i5): For paired-end flow cells, the Index 1 (i7) Read product is removed and the template anneals to the grafted P5 primer on the surface of the flow cell. The run proceeds through an additional seven chemistry-only cycles (no images are taken) followed by eight cycles of sequencing to read Index 2 (i5).
For single-read flow cells, the Index 1 (i7) Read product is removed and the Index 2 (i5) sequencing primer (HP9) is annealed to the same template strand. The run proceeds through eight cycles of sequencing to read the Index 2 (i5)."
mastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:51 PM   #3
illuminaGA

Thank you so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastal View Post
They are cycles during which only the chemistry is done, there is no measurement of fluorescence.

Below is a quote from the Illumina website:

http://support.illumina.com/sequenci...questions.ilmn

As part of the answer to the question:
What is the workflow for dual indexing?

"Index Read 2 (i5): For paired-end flow cells, the Index 1 (i7) Read product is removed and the template anneals to the grafted P5 primer on the surface of the flow cell. The run proceeds through an additional seven chemistry-only cycles (no images are taken) followed by eight cycles of sequencing to read Index 2 (i5).
For single-read flow cells, the Index 1 (i7) Read product is removed and the Index 2 (i5) sequencing primer (HP9) is annealed to the same template strand. The run proceeds through eight cycles of sequencing to read the Index 2 (i5)."
illuminaGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 01:45 PM   #4
BHR

Sorry to bump the old thread.

My question is, what is the purpose doing the dark cycle? The original template already binds to grafted P5 primer, why can't just go straight to the index 2 read?
BHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 02:05 PM   #5
nucacidhunter

Dark cycles are used to quickly fill the 7 base gap from graft 5 end to first base of index.
nucacidhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 02:14 PM   #6
BHR

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucacidhunter View Post
Dark cycles are used to quickly fill the 7 base gap from graft 5 end to first base of index.
Got it, thanks. leaving no loose ends...
BHR is offline   Reply With Quote