Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any pipeline to find automatically ORF in consensus sequences?

Dear members,

Following my 454 data assembly, sequenced from a cDNA library, I'm looking for an "automated way" to find ORF for all the consensus contig sequences. My assembly was performed with a high percentage of similarity (0.98) using CLC workbench. Unfortunately, in my favorite species, there is no complete genome available at this moment to gather any information.

So, did anyone have already experienced this problem? How to find the true ORF with 454 contig that may contains some errors, such as false-positive insertion that shift the frame?

Thanks a lot,
    Regards,
    Christopher

I think that FrameD and FrameDP can provide you exactly what you are looking for: it is a gene finding software that is designed to be robust regarding sequencing errors. If you are not working on prokaryotic genome, look for its "big brother" EuGene..
    have fun,
    s.

Comment

Hi Steven

Thanks for your help! It is really appreciated. On my side, I have found that ORF predictor may perform a similar job.
      Visit: http://proteomics.ysu.edu/tools/OrfPredictor.html for more details.

I'll let users know how things are going on with these different softwares.

Best regards,
      Christopher

Comment

You might also try ESTScan:

Software: http://estscan.sourceforge.net/
        Paper: http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc...=rep1&type=pdf

Comment

Christopher, are you sure that ORF predictor is resistant to sequencing errors and partial ORF?
          Thanks kmcarr, i didn't know ESTScan.
          I think that FrameDP can train itself (discriminative learning), deal with noisy sequences, partial ORFs, and high variations in GC content. Plus it is not restricted to pure "ab initio" prediction, as it can integrate protein similarities. They have a web server, if you want to give it a try..
          good luck,
          s.

Comment

Hi all, I am new in this field of research.
            I have contigs from acinomyces and I want to detect and annotate ORFs to be viewed in artemis.
            I am focussing on acinomyces (and eucaryotes in the future) and I am considering the use of FramdeDP with a local NCBI-database for blasts.
            Would you agree with this choice or should I consider other options?

Comment

Hi Jacques,

I have tested the FrameDP and ORFPredictor softwares to find ORF in my NGS data. ORF predictor has reached my expectation as it is based on the blastx results of your consensus sequences to predict your (partial) ORF. It can run your analysis in batches. Moreover, when there are sequencing or assembling errors, ORF predictor is able to predict an ORF with a frame shift.

Regards.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
              0 responses