No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinion on Hardware

Hi All,

I'm currently in the process of buying a workstation for RNA-seq expression analysis (mRNA, miRNA, lnRNA snoRNA).

I was wondering what people thought of the following hardware:

HP Z820 Workstation
    2 Xeon E5-2687Wv2 3.40Ghz 25MB 1866 8C
    256GB DDR-3-1866 (8 X 32GB) 2CPU LR RAM
    4 x 2TB 7200 SATA
    RAID 5

Thanks!
    Colin

Looks good. The RAM is a bit overkill for what you're doing at the moment, but of course it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it

Comment

Originally posted by dpryan View Post
      Looks good. The RAM is a bit overkill for what you're doing at the moment, but of course it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it
      Thanks for the reply! Is there an arguments for decreasing the RAM to 128GB and increasing the number of cores to 24?

Colin

Comment

128 is still enough for things like STAR, which might benefit from the increased core availability (though I've never benchmarked that). If you're planning to use DEXSeq or anything like that, then the increased number of cores would be beneficial. I can't think of anything normally used in RNAseq that'll need more than 128GB memory, though if you're going to need to assemble the transcriptomes (i.e., you're not using one of the common model organisms) then perhaps that'll need it (it's not something I ever need to do, so I can't provide any advice there).

Comment

128 is still enough for things like STAR, which might benefit from the increased core availability (though I've never benchmarked that). If you're planning to use DEXSeq or anything like that, then the increased number of cores would be beneficial. I can't think of anything normally used in RNAseq that'll need more than 128GB memory, though if you're going to need to assemble the transcriptomes (i.e., you're not using one of the common model organisms) then perhaps that'll need it (it's not something I ever need to do, so I can't provide any advice there).
          The majority of my work involves a non model organism so transcriptome assembly is a possibility.

In terms of the number of cores, I guess the trade off is run time?

Thanks!
          Colin

Comment

Yeah, more cores will generally decrease run time (to a point, at least).

Comment

Yeah, more cores will generally decrease run time (to a point, at least).
              Thanks for you help! Much appreciated!

Comment

SATA disks probably would become the bottleneck with a large number of cores. You should probably stick with your original configuration but you may want to include a good (intel) SSD for your OS.

Comment

If you want to do assembly of eukaryotes, I do not recommend increasing core-count at the expense of memory. 256g will already be limiting in some scenarios, depending on the size of the organisms you're working with. Many assemblers do not scale well with large numbers of processors, anyway, though mappers should scale linearly.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                    Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                    by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                    04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                  • seqadmin
                    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post seqadmin  
                  Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                  0 responses