Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interpreting an FPKM of 0

I am still unclear of how to interpret an FPKM of 0 which you get for some genes in the cufflinks outputs.

Does this mean that no reads have been mapped to this gene and therefore this gene can be considered as not a part of the transcriptome?

Or does this mean that the gene is expressed but it is below a certain threshold, and if so should they be excluded from future analyses or comparisons.

I am not doing a differential expression analysis--I'm just interested in what genes are or are not expressed, as I am doing a multi-species comparison between various mammalian species with genome assemblies.

If you actually go look at a few genes with an FPKM of 0 on something like IGV, you'll see that sometime there are a few reads that align to it. Its just that when you're talking about 100M or more reads per sample, 1 or 2 reads is pretty insignificant. So, while you can't really say its not expressed with 100% certainty, you can say it was not detected. The other measure you can look at is if the low of the 95% confidence interval is >0. Then you can confidently claim something is expressed.

Comment

Side note - which version are you using? (I ask because there were some problems with 1.1.0 listing FPKMs as 0 when there were actually reads that mapped to those genes). I think they fixed this problem in 1.2.0.

Comment

Thanks--that clears up that issue! I was using 1.1.0 but now I'm using 1.2.0. I think I'll rerun everything in 1.2.0, thanks for the heads-up!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
        • seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
        0 responses