No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• overclustered run?

Hi all,

I sent a custom made library pool consisting of 3 amplicons (nextera like adaptors with 7bp indexes) - 80% of the pool - and genomic library of birds (trueseq single index adaptors) - 20% of the pool. We also added 1% phix just for quality control and run this in a miseq nano kit 500 cycles at a final loading concentration of 8pM at our institute. The results were fairly good for a low diversity amplicon library:

cluster density: 870
    cluster PF (%): 87.4
    %>=Q30: 90.10
    reads PF: 2,249,010

We then sent the exact same library at 4nM for a sequencing center to be sequenced in a HiSeq Rapid Run 500 cycles (2 lanes). We asked for the library to be loaded also at 8pM, for the clustering to be done on board, and to do the heat denaturation step before loading in order to better denature the amplicons. We have asked for this in the past and it worked very well, with results more consistent with what is obtained in MiSeq (as that is what we do with MiSeq as well).

The results were a little more disappointing with:

cluster density: 1002 (L1), 1008 (L2)
    cluster PF (%): 60.8 (L1), 52.2 (L2)
    %>=Q30: 82.6 (L1), 81.6 (L2)
    reads PF: 223,630,120 (L1); 192,735,128 (L2)

Looking at the density PF I believe I see some signs of overcluster:

However, how could the library be overclustered at 8pM? It was ok at our MiSeq. Could the guys at the sequencing center messed up in the dilutions? Is there anything I can do for my run to be repeated? Another strange thing is that although the same library was shared among Lane 1 and Lane 2, in lane 1 75.5% of the reads PF were assigned to the amplicons, while in lane 2 only 36.1% of the reads were assigned to amplicons. Lane 2 was also the one with higher signs of overclustering.

Should I include a higher percentage of genomic DNA in the future? My amplicon library consisted in 70% of one amplicon (several hundred different indexes), and ~15% + 15% of two other amplicons (also many indexes).

Thanks

Vanessa
    Last edited by vanessamata; 05-08-2019, 07:37 AM. Reason: it published an earlier version of what I wrote

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
    Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
    by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
    04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
  • seqadmin
    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
0 responses
0 likes
Last Post seqadmin  
Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
0 responses