Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comparing the quality of de novo assembly from two runs' data

We are using Miseq to sequence microbial genomes (~5Mb). In the first run (1#), library containing 12 samples were sequenced, and 6 samples were sequenced in the other run (2#). Obviously, the data of the 2# run have higher coverage depth that those of the 1# run. Therefore, I expected that the quality of de novo assembly data of the 2# run should be better than those of the 1#run. After analyzing by CLC Bio, I found that it is not true. Each sample from these two runs are shown as follow:

Sample of 1# run Sample of 2# run
    N50 192439 261691
    Max length 461804 450288
    Average length 38501 8334
    Count of contig 145 688

I dont understand why there are more contigs of 2# run that 1# run? Is that because of the high coverage? And how about the de novo assembly of these two runs?

Thank you very much!

Is there anyone can help me????

Comment

Some of your question is specific to CLC bio, which I don't use.

What theoretical coverage did you actually achieve in the experiments? Are you using paired ends? What read lengths? What does the quality profile & insert size distribution look like for each? Are your samples very closely related, or perhaps not?

If the libraries are quite different & poorer libraries are concentrated in the second run, then that might explain things.

Comment

Krobison, thanks for your reply. The coverage of the 2# run is around 140x. I used paired ends 2x250. The insertion size of the 2# run looks longer than that of the 1# run from Bioanalyzer data. The samples are very closely related.

Originally posted by krobison View Post
        Some of your question is specific to CLC bio, which I don't use.

What theoretical coverage did you actually achieve in the experiments? Are you using paired ends? What read lengths? What does the quality profile & insert size distribution look like for each? Are your samples very closely related, or perhaps not?

If the libraries are quite different & poorer libraries are concentrated in the second run, then that might explain things.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
        • seqadmin
          The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
          by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
          02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
        0 responses