SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Sequencing Technologies/Companies > Illumina/Solexa

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MiSeq Carry-over contamination between runs Harlon Illumina/Solexa 58 09-07-2017 08:00 AM
MiSeq custom libraries jhi_pete Illumina/Solexa 5 04-16-2013 09:55 AM
MiSeq Confusion AdrianP Illumina/Solexa 2 01-03-2013 06:04 AM
Frankenstein MiSeq 2x400bp runs brineybs Illumina/Solexa 5 09-20-2012 06:35 AM
FLX vs Titanium, Lib-L vs Lib-A, Amplicon Libraries = confusion SeqTruth 454 Pyrosequencing 4 03-03-2012 01:08 PM

Old 07-30-2014, 07:26 AM   #1
Vanschkn

Default Confusion setting up MiSeq libraries/runs

I have previous experience setting up sequencing on a 3730 so a little confused about setting up libraries and runs on a MiSeq. So I see that you can prep libraries for 96 samples using the Nextera kits and you can even include all 96 samples in a single run. If I'm sequencing 5Mb bacterial strains what type of coverage would I get from that one run (I know this is somewhat dependent on the MiSeq kit chosen)? Do people usually include less strains on a run or do multiple runs with many strains to ensure good coverage? Thanks!
Vanschkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 07:34 AM   #2
GenoMax

You can usually get between 20-25 M reads (2 x 300 bp) from a MiSeq run. That translates to 12-15 gb of sequence data. You can determine theoretical coverage for "x" number of strains you choose to multiplex. Keep in mind that it is tricky to get uniform distribution for libraries when multiplexing. You may have to do test runs and re-pool/adjust if you are interested in a certain fold coverage per strain.
GenoMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 08:23 AM   #3
Vanschkn

Thanks for your reply. Do you have experience multiplexing bacterial strains? The Nextera kits advertise that they can multiplex up to 96 strains and the bead technology helps QC the libraries to ensure an even distribution. Any experience with this? I want to go in with realistic data expectations!
Vanschkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 08:50 AM   #4
GenoMax

I will let someone else comment on the experimental part of your question.

As far as data goes, irrespective of the number of strains you choose to multiplex (we will go with an example of 5 strains) the total amount of data from one MiSeq run is going to be split 5 ways (12-15 gigabase total data, each strain would get 2.5-3 gb data).

Note: Your libraries have to be of reasonably good quality otherwise above would not apply.
GenoMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 04:37 AM   #5
nucacidhunter
Jafar Jabbari

Assuming using V3 with 2x300 cycle you will get around 20-25x coverage for 96 samples. If you need more coverage you can run your library pool multiple times to get required coverage. Though, if read length is not that important it might be more cost effective to run your library pool on HiSeq. With recent release of new primer set with Nextera, up to 384 plexing is possible. If you decide to run your libraries on HiSeq it would be better to stop after PCR clean-up and skip bead normalisation step.
nucacidhunter is offline   Reply With Quote