• Show
Clear All

• Cufflinks result

Hi..~~

I did cufflinks and as output, I had three files:

-transcript.gtf
    -genes.fpkm_tracking
    -isoforms.fpkm_tracking

My question is on genes.fpkm_tracking. As I understood, from column G, we can find out the location of the corresponding gene to the transcript which was found by cufflinks.

For example: 1:161238-161297 => In my understanding, this means the transcript was transcribed from chromosome 1 from base pair number 161238 to base pair number 161297. Tell me if I am wrong.

Then my supervisor asked me to find out a way to find the name of the gene (not only the chromosome and location on the chromosome but name of the gene) and not by searching in the google.

Is there any way? Is there any tool?

Thank you
    Last edited by Saeideh; 09-07-2015, 03:07 AM.

Hi Saeideh,

I am new to Cufflinks myself, but when you look at the tracking file, the gene_id should be listed here as well (column D?). It certainly depends on which reference annotation file you've used, whther or not this name is descriptive.

A nice alternative if to use the R package cummeRbund (same authors), which allows you to connect gene annotation data with you expression data.

Maybe you could also use cuffcompare to assign transcripts to a reference annotation (it does far more, but in theory, you should also get the names assigned).

Markus

Comment

Hi Markus~

Thank youuuu.. The time I asked the question, I did not know what is reference annotation file!! but now I know.
      and I used this command: cufflinks --GTF annotationfile.gtf accepted_hits.bam
      and I could get the result.
      Last edited by Saeideh; 09-08-2015, 12:37 AM.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
      • seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
      0 responses