Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MiSeq boots to grey screen with mouse cursor

We just had our MiSeq fail. System lockup and then a hard reboot/reset gets me to a grey screen with a mouse cursor - no response.

I suspect a Windows configuration file corruption. Anyone see this before?

It could also be some hardware failure (either on the computer side or MiSeq electronics). Time to put that service contract (you have one right?) to use.

BTW: What was it doing (running/idling) when it failed?

Comment

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
      It could also be some hardware failure (either on the computer side or MiSeq electronics). Time to put that service contract (you have one right?) to use.

BTW: What was it doing (running/idling) when it failed?
      It locked up and we had to do a hard reboot.

We figured it out with the help of our SC @ Illumina: It was a boot configuration file that got overwritten by a Windows O/S update. Basically the MCS software and the O/S were having a fight, resulting in a grey screen. Re-writing the config file to let the Windows system to fully boot and delay loading the MCS for 30 seconds solved the issue.

It appears that Microsoft has implimented changes / installs / overwrites a configuration file with no regard for local system configuration.

Comment

Good to know. Hopefully this will help someone else.

This is one reason we never bother with windows updates on our sequencers. They are isolated from network though.

Comment

ug that's delightful. Thanks for reporting your experience, hasn't happened here yet because I think I've managed to turn off all updates (yes I know that is a security risk)
          Microbial ecologist, running a sequencing core. I have lots of strong opinions on how to survey communities, pretty sure some are even correct.

Comment

This is why I've kept ours offline. Good to hear it was a simple solution

Comment

Try connect keyboard, press Alt+Ctrl+Del and run Explorer.exe in windows task manager. Then kill all Illumina processes and run program.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
              • seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
              0 responses