SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
cut 5' and 3' ends of paired-ends reads sebl Bioinformatics 4 12-08-2015 02:48 AM
Can Bowtie2 or BWA handle over-lapping paired ends well?? JackieBadger Bioinformatics 0 01-23-2013 05:14 AM
Ion Torrent Mappers golharam Bioinformatics 7 11-07-2012 07:06 PM
HTS Mappers! dan Bioinformatics 10 10-20-2012 02:16 PM
Degenerate nucleotide mappers fenix Bioinformatics 2 03-09-2011 08:04 PM

Old 07-28-2016, 08:44 AM   #1
nw328

Default How Do Mappers Handle Chromosome Ends?

I am trying to figure out how BW-based mappers like BWA and Bowtie handle reads that map at the end of the reference and extend off the end. One example would be reads from the origin of a circular chromosome, where part maps to the beginning of the sequence used to build the index, and part of it maps to the very end. How are such reads scored? Is each extending base considered a mismatch, gap extension, or something else?

Thanks in advance!

NOTE:Also posted on Biostars
nw328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 12:59 AM   #2
tristan dubos

Hi,
I was with the same problematic when I studies repeats region to determine number copy. I saw in BWA(mem) no mapping to the extremity of my reference (500 bases). To solve the problem by put 2 times my references aside. I tried before this to put N to the extremity of the references and low stringency alignment parameters but i was i low complexity sequences the i had everything mapping on the position that is why i used the first solution.
I hope it could help

Tristan
tristan dubos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 02:18 PM   #3
maubp
Peter (Biopython etc)

Very few mappers have support for circular genomes (e.g. CLC mapper), and worse, the SAM/BAM format does not handle this well. As suggested by Tristan, mapping to a doubled linear reference can be a useful alternative (but brings with it a lot of complications).

If you are mainly interested in mapping to the origin region of a circular chromosome, it would be simpler to make a linear chromosome split elsewhere in the circle, and map to that.
maubp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bowtie, bwa, mapping reads, sequence assembly