No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aDNA & Library prep

Hello all,
    I am working on acientDNA, I have experience on isolating genetic material from archaeological samples....sometimes a ungrateful work!
    My lab wants prepare some NGS libraries to run them on Illumina GA/HiSeq and I'm searching a protocol to prepare a library from my very fragmented sample (50-200 bp genomic DNA). I don't see many posts on aDNA and I would like to know if anybody has experience on this or with your knowledge on DNA sample prep you have tips that could help me.
    Any suggestions are very welcome.
    thanks!
    Cheers

I would start from analysing Paabo's papers. I work with ancient DNA using 454 and it is nightmare. The most difficult problem is not libary prepration, it is quantification of libraries. Perhaps qPCR is the only way, but uncontrolled fragment distribution in fragmented DNA makes it much less reliable as compared to libraries made from gDNA fragmented in controlled way. And the contamination problem represents much worse challenge as compared to analysis of aDNA by PCR.

Comment

Dear Yakimik,
      thanks a lot for your reply!! I'ts always nice to hear someone that has same aDNA nightmares...
      Anyway, I'm also worried about the sampleprep itself. With Illumina I have 3 purification steps after end repair, a-tail and ligation. This means I'll lost lot of starting material. If I'm not wrong with 454 you have one step less. I'm also worried about the PCR step. Phusion Hifi enzyme (used in Illumina library enrichment) is not very robust enzyme. I used to use golden taq for my normal aDNA PCR….
      I’ll follow your advice; I’ll use qPCR to quantify my library.
      Cheers!!!

Comment

You're welcome. I do not use Phusion, it is a crappy enzyme in my opinion. Never could make it work. KOD Hot Start from Novagen is much better, essentially the same protocol can be used. Recently, KAPA Biosystems offered a similar enzyme, it is even more active, needs some adjustments. KAPA also offers platform-specific qPCR kits for library quantification, my experience was good, but it is too expensive in my opinion. Similar performance I got from more reasonably priced Takara's SYBR exTaq mix (also from Novagen) with standard emPCR primers (454 platform), but I guess Illumina's standard primers can be used too.

Comment

Hi xanqueta,

I also work with aDNA. The library prep for 454 is indeed quicker than the Illumina’s but the sequencing part is very long (tons of washes in particular). I prefer Illumina by far. The size of the reads also matters. If your DNA is severely degraded, then go with Illumina. If it's above 200bp, you can try 454. I personally like the high throughput of Illumina. Each library give ~ 30 millions reads, ie great coverage. Of course, there is a lot of bacterial/fungal DNA in there, but that's another problem. As suggested before, I'd review literature. Leipzig started with a few great protocols but there are many more labs that publish NGS on ancient DNA nowadays. Good luck. Ancient DNA can truly be frustrating but when it works, nothing feels better

Comment

Odile,

I wonder what do you use to filter out bacterial/fungal sequences? I could not find something generic, way to much diversity, but going essentially manually over 30 million reads with BLAST is unimaginable either.

Comment

I do some target enrichment using human mtDNA specific probes. This way I get the entire human mtgenome with a very good coverage.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
              0 responses