Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Real performance of HiSeq 2000

Hello, what is the 'real world' performance of HiSeq 2000 using 2x100 PE?

Illumina says 374 million/lane; so 374e6 x 2 x 100 = 74.80 Gb/lane.

According to Illumina: 80% percentage of Bases > Q30

74.80*0.80 =~ 60Gb.

However looking in web pages of sequencing centers the 'real value' ranges between 40-60Gb/lane.

Thank you very much.

When they say 374 million/lane, they mean 374 millions of 100bp reads, or 187 millions of 100+100 reads. This gives ~ 37 Gb. In our hands, we usually get 30-40 Gb, with Q30 ~90%.
    It is possible to get a bit more, 40-45 Gb, but I would not recommend this.

Comment

We would normally hope to get 200 million reads from a lane these days. We've had quite a few runs from the Sanger centre lately which have been averaging nearer 100 million though. On a good day you can get 250+ million so the yield you get can vary by a factor of 3 depending on how optimally everything worked. Quality to the end of a 2x100bp run is pretty consistently good these days and we remove very little by quality trimming.

Comment

Hi simonandrews, thank you.

When you say 200 million reads, do you mean paired reads (100 + 100) or single reads (100bps)?

Thanks.

Comment

200 million clusters, so 400 million reads from a 2x100 paired end run.

Comment

The numbers Simon is presenting are for well constructed libraries.

Every library run on a HiSeq does not yield this many reads per lane.

Comment

Ok I think I understand you now. But please correct me if I am wrong. So if you have 400 million reads from a 2x100 paired end run (from 200 million clusters) ... You would get 40Gb from a lane?

However your output from a lane can range between 20-50 Gb (100-250 million reads) depending on how optimally everything worked.

Comment

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
                The numbers Simon is presenting are for well constructed libraries.
                We only make well constructed libraries

If only...

Comment

Originally posted by cip View Post
                  Ok I think I understand you now. But please correct me if I am wrong. So if you have 400 million reads from a 2x100 paired end run (from 200 million clusters) ... You would get 40Gb from a lane?

However your output from a lane can range between 20-50 Gb (100-250 million reads) depending on how optimally everything worked.
                  Output will range from 0 - 50 Gb (specially if you had not QC'ed your library before running it)

That aside the estimate you are using is reasonable.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                  • seqadmin
                    Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                    by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                    Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                    03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post seqadmin  
                  Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                  0 responses