Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMRT Link 7.0 - HGAP

Has anyone gotten the HGAP assembler to work? It seems that it just barfs at different places constantly. Doesn't seem to be very robust at all.

I've used CANU before, so I'm going to try to go back to that...

What about the wtdbg2assembler?

---------------------------------------------------------------------

My mistake - a corrupted downloaded data file was the culprit; should have checked the mdm5 checksum before starting!
    Last edited by cement_head; 10-06-2019, 06:12 AM. Reason: correction

What kind of genome are you trying to assemble? I usually go with flye as a first pass (fast, memory efficient) and then Canu if flye underperforms (they seem to trade off which gives a better assembly in our hands). wtdbg2 is fun to try a quick check but I don't think it is as feature complete as flye or canu.
    Providing nextRAD genotyping and PacBio sequencing services. http://snpsaurus.com

Comment

Originally posted by SNPsaurus View Post
      What kind of genome are you trying to assemble? I usually go with flye as a first pass (fast, memory efficient) and then Canu if flye underperforms (they seem to trade off which gives a better assembly in our hands). wtdbg2 is fun to try a quick check but I don't think it is as feature complete as flye or canu.
      Well, figured it out - was a corrupted file from the download!

Wood Frog Genome - 6 Gbp

Got it working, but it barfs as it wants to fo a 30x coverage and from the RAW reads, it comes up a few thousand short. Would the SEED COVERAGE parameter (in the Advanced tab) be the one I would want to change? From say 30 to 25? (Just to get a rough assembly?) I'm waiting on HiSeq data to do a combined ONT + Pac Bio + HiSeq assembly in CANU.
      Last edited by cement_head; 10-06-2019, 06:10 AM. Reason: clarification

Comment

Oh my, that's a big one. How much memory is it using?

If you just want a rough assembly, I would do wtdbg2 as you can get a sense of contig lengths without consensus generation. I've done flye with 10X read coverage (to look at how much is chloroplast and bacteria in a dirty sample) and it didn't protest. Sorry, haven't used HGAP.
        Providing nextRAD genotyping and PacBio sequencing services. http://snpsaurus.com

Comment

Well, finally got version 8 installed. It never completes, just hangs forever. Seems like a terrible assembler.

Comment

Hello
            HGAP does not support this size of genome. It is made for <=3Gb genomes.
            Best to use Falcon which is also a diploid aware assembler

Comment

Originally posted by lilou View Post
              Hello
              HGAP does not support this size of genome. It is made for <=3Gb genomes.
              Best to use Falcon which is also a diploid aware assembler
              Interesting. HGAP4 Manual doesn't mention this, but the FALCON GitHub repo does - the impression that SMRTLink software gives is that it is a GUI wrapper for FALCON. I guess not. Thanks.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
              0 responses