Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extreme nucleotide bias at fragment ends of Illumina mate pair library

We recently prepped and ran our first (and thus far only) Illumina mate pair run. There were seven libraries prepped, all different isolates of E. coli genomic DNA. The Illumina mate pair kit was used and standard protocol followed. Both the initial (3 kbp) and second fragmentation were performed using a nebulizer. According to the lab personnel nothing unusual was noted during prep.

After sequencing an extreme bias for T at the 5' ends of both reads was observed (see the attached % Base Calls plot). These are NOT errors in sequencing, the full read align with high fidelity to the E. coli genome. The reads align in a fairly uniform manner around the whole genome but obviously are not random with respect to the positioning of the 5' end of the reads. Mapping shows the vast majority of sequenced fragments to be properly constructed mate pairs; they are separated by ~2,700 - 3,000 bp and point away from each other. All seven of the libraries look like this.

We have a hypothesis about cause but I'd like to ask the community if they have ever seen anything like this with an Illumina mate pair library.

Here is our hypothesis: After the large fragments are circularized there is an exonuclease step to degrade and remaining, linear DNA. The exonuclease is supplied with the mate pair prep kit so I don't know specifically which exo it is. After this digestion the sample is heated @70°C for 30' to kill the exo, followed by addition of EDTA to 20mM. This if followed by nebulization to fragment the circles, followed by streptavidin selection of the junction fragment and sequencing adapter ligation. We suspect that there was some very small amount of residual exo activity left after heat inactivation. The random ends created by the subsequent nebulization were acted upon by the exo, with its activity much lower when it encounters a thymidine (or di-thymidine) at the 5' ends of dsDNA. Does this sound reasonable (or at least plausible)? Can any of you good folks think of an alternative mechanism?

Thanks.
    Attached Files

Might it be a bias in where the biotinylation occurs? If the Biotin dNTP mix truly only contains Biotin-dATP[1], that would explain the T bias.

[1] http://seqanswers.com/forums/archive...hp/t-4608.html

Comment

Originally posted by dsbreak View Post
      Might it be a bias in where the biotinylation occurs? If the Biotin dNTP mix truly only contains Biotin-dATP[1], that would explain the T bias.

[1] http://seqanswers.com/forums/archive...hp/t-4608.html
      The biotin is incorporated at the ends of the large fragments prior to circularization. The T bias was seen at the ends of the small fragments created after circularization and refragmentation. At this point the biotinylated dA's would be in the middle of the fragments.

As it happens we just completed a mate-pair run, our first since I posted about this problem a year ago. This time there was no evidence of nucleotide bias at the ends of our reads. Never did get a definitive answer as to the cause of the problem from Illumina. As far as I'm concerned my original hypothesis above is still the best bet.

Comment

I see, I misunderstood. Does this argue against hypothesis? pmid 6752885

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
        • seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
        0 responses