Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tophat v1.1 with GTF files

I wanted to try tophat 1.1 with a UCSC supplied GTF file, but the binary (linux-x86_64) I downloaded keeps asking for a GFF file. Has anyone had success running this version with a GTF file?

I have had succes with the 1.1.0 binary. Are you sure you are running the updated TopHat and not an old one left on your system? You can check using the --version option when you run TopHat ($ tophat --version).

Comment

It's working! I had some deprecated paths in my scripts which were causing the problem. Thanks for your help!

Comment

where can I get reliable GTF annotation files?

I'm trying to get the GTF files for hg18, preferably at isoform level, from UCSC browser portal, in order to run with Tophat and cufflinks, but apparently I can't find such files there.
        So far I've managed to download a table from here http://genome.ucsc.edu/cgi-bin/hgTables?command=start but I'm not quite sure if it's the right way to do it. How did you guys get the file?

thanks

Comment

You are correct in using the table browser. To download a GTF file of a track, you need to select GTF in the output format dropdown menu, type a name for the output file, for instance hg18.UCSCknowngene.isoforms.gtf, then click get output. That should get you a GTF file.

Comment

yes that what I did, but the problem is that there are loads of options for group/track/table and I don't find any single combination to look significantly more appealing. I'm looking for a detailed annotation for hg18, currently I have taken, the GTF file with:

Group: Genes and Gene prediction Tracks
            Track: RefSeq Genes
            Table: refGene

but I dunno how sensible/standard choice it is! and I guess it does not contain isoform level annotation.

Comment

RefSeq gene does include a lot of isoforms (any that have RefSeq mRNA entries), but there are certainly isoforms expected to be missing.

Comment

So you can supply TopHat with a GTF file of annotated transcripts, which, using the --GTF option, will be the first place where reads are mapped, followed by the whole genome, with or without novel junction discovery in this second stage. As I understand it, this is after TopHat 1.4.
                I'm curious to know how t was before 1.4. I think you could already give TopHat a GTF file, but it used it second. Am I right? If so, what is the difference between using it [the GTF file] first and using it second after the genome?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                  by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                  04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                • seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                0 responses