Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sequencing process

Hi! I am trying to find the fastest sequencing machine. How long does the sequencing take at minimum? Does the bridge amplification, sequencing, or data processing take most time? Why does the sequencing take time, if there is only 250 bases to sequence (as all reads are read simultaneously)? Thanks in advance for the comments!

Minimum run time on Illumina systems is 4 hours on MiniSeq and MiSeq for 36 cycles. Generally, sequencing takes long time. In every cycles depending on 1, 2 or 4 colour chemistry few steps is required which includes base incorporation, imaging, debolcking and washing. YouTube search should find videos on different Illumina chemistries. One colour chemistry have slightly different workflow.

Comment

Originally posted by Kultamuna2 View Post
      Hi! I am trying to find the fastest sequencing machine. How long does the sequencing take at minimum? Does the bridge amplification, sequencing, or data processing take most time? Why does the sequencing take time, if there is only 250 bases to sequence (as all reads are read simultaneously)? Thanks in advance for the comments!
      the fastest sequencing time for an average run is probably Oxford Nanopore or Ion Torrent. Both of those systems do not use optical detection or enzymatic steps to build the sequences. I suppose you could say PacBio is rather quick as well, though it does use optics.
      Last edited by snetmcom; 03-07-2018, 10:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nucacidhunter View Post
        Minimum run time on Illumina systems is 4 hours on MiniSeq and MiSeq for 36 cycles. Generally, sequencing takes long time. In every cycles depending on 1, 2 or 4 colour chemistry few steps is required which includes base incorporation, imaging, debolcking and washing. YouTube search should find videos on different Illumina chemistries. One colour chemistry have slightly different workflow.
        Thanks for the answers! Some additional questions woke in my mind when I read the answer. So at fastest sequencing takes 4 hours, does it include also the data processing (genome assembly)? Is it usually included in these given sequencing times? Is this 4 hours for a human genome?

I have also heard that read length affects the sequencing time: shorter the read length, faster the sequencing. Why isn't then all sequencing carried out with this 36bp read length? Do we get lower quality data with lower read length?
        Last edited by Kultamuna2; 03-12-2018, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
        • seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
        0 responses