No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GALAXY: Huge amount of data?

Hi all,

I have a (probably) very naive question ..

We are running a few machines here as a core facility (Hiseq2000, GAIIx, 454tit,SOLiD) ... there are a couple of users interested in the capabilities of GALAXY, so I am thinking about a local install of the whole package.

My concern is the data amount. E.g. one Hiseq2000 lane with a PE whole exome lib is roughly 2x20G (unzipped) fastq. I can definitively reduce the amount by zipping the datasets. But this is still a huge amount of data to be uploaded via Browser ...
    How is this working in practice if you have more than one lane?
    How are the jobs scheduled?

I probably need to read more en detail before starting to set up my own installation ...

thanks for any comment ..

cheers,
    Sven

Regarding the upload problem: Galaxy can be setup to let users upload their files by FTP, however, in your situation as a core facility you can import the files directly into Galaxy from disk. People do this as part of an automatic sequencing service pipeline - have a search on the Galaxy mailing list.

Regarding the general data volume problem: Galaxy by default keeps all the files on disk, and you can have cron jobs to clean up "deleted" datasets. Some users on the Galaxy mailing list have reported needing to be more aggressive on their server to avoid running out of space.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
    • seqadmin
      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
    0 responses